The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Manual Steering in the GVR4

324vr4

The car is not a DD and is leaking fluid like crazy from the PS rack that we looped lines too and from. We eliminated the PS pump and pulley and now we have this leak...I wanna try and get it taken care of ASAP to try in a local Autox event in July. Would you convert to a manual rack and if so where can one locate the passenger-side bracket to the K-member so it will work...I understand the drivers-side bracket will work.

Or would you keep what you have, the PS rack and looped lines and remove it and install some hydraulic lines in place of the looped OEM HP lines?! I have it filled half way and that was done in hopes of retaining an "in-between" feeling of PS and manual steering. Now i have a leak that vomits all over the DP and makes bugs, fans, and drivers alike become nauseated by the smoking stench. Any suggestions?

H05TYL

Manual racks are like a gazillion turns lock to lock - yuck.

I'd suggest dis-assembling the rack and modifying it for non-assisted use. (I know that sounds vague as hell, there's a thread on here with a link to a how-to (which I believe was on a miata site or something)

brisvr4

I modified my rack as per the instructions above.
I am pretty certain that the steering in a Sherman tank is lighter than a VR4 with the power steering converted to manual via removal of the internal piston!

TylerAdamson

Bris, I find it interesting you say that. I myself am in the process of de-powering a rack as I've heard great things about it. I guess I'll have to report back with my experiences once I've got it completed.

turbofonz

I depowered my 1g's rack.

Easier than no belt for sure, but it still requires some muscleling. From what I was reading I expected it to be easier. I haven't driven a manual rack car to compare yet.

brisvr4

I put a power rack back in as I welded my centre diff and didn't relish the though of a manual steer locked centre!
The biggest problem I found was low speed turning really, high speeds weren't too bad.
I'd never go back to a converted manual rack though.

H05TYL

I'm running no belt at the moment and whilst parking is a complete pita once moving above walking pace I don't have a problem with the steering weight (and i'm lanky and weak /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I love my non power rack. It does have more turns lock to lock, but isn't too bad for daily driving.

The passenger bracket for the manual rack is NLA. You can't get it anywhere except from a non power steering car. The passenger buushing is still available from Mitsu. The driver's side bushing, bracket, and boot are the same as the power rack. The passenger's side boot is different.

324vr4

I appreciate everyone's advice and explanation of their experiences. I have not had the belt hooked up and its really not bad but just leaky...I'm going to stay clear of the manual rack and de-power my existing rack and be happy once it's done. Thank you everyone and I'll post my experiences once I am thru.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned