The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Manifold selection

Ok let me start off by saying I don't own a vr4, but I plan to once i get back from deployment. I plan on running a Holset HE351VE turbo, they have a weird flange pattern to them its not quite t3 and its not quite t4, I ordered a flange for the turbo already. The thing that I am stuck on is this, what is the difference between a T3/T4 exhaust manifold and a regularly flanged dsm manifold? The flange I have is made of stainless steel exhaust manifold with the regular dsm flange could I just cut the flange off and have mine welded on with no negative effect or would it be best just to go and get a T3/T4 manifold and cut the flange off in order to get the best possible flow. That leads me to my next question, if its best just to go with the T3/T4 manifold, I know you can weld stainless to cast as long as the welder does the process correctly, I am looking at the ERL manifold, Is there enough room in the engine bay for that? I was thinking I would probably have to go with a civic radiator, just because of the turbo size though.

Here's a novel idea... Buy a new exhaust housing for the Holset turbo so that you can bolt it up to a DSM flanged manifold???

Thank you for the suggestion Jesse, but the dsm flanged holset turbine housing is not an option for me. If I was running the hx-35 or hx-40 I could. The whole point of getting the HE351VE is to use the VGT function that comes on the turbo. Someone found a way to control the VGT function using a 14b actuator, and since I love trying something different and the turbo was cheap I figured why not give it a shot thats the only reason why I am going through the trouble.

Don't weld cast to stainless, the metals will expand at different rates when they get hot, causing the manifold to crack. Ebay manifolds do this a lot.

4thStroke

Quoting RvlutionMtrsport:
Here's a novel idea... Buy a new exhaust housing for the Holset turbo so that you can bolt it up to a DSM flanged manifold???

Wouldnt that point in the direction of... Bullseye (assuming there was a Mitsu hotside for this Holset)?

Makes sense especially since it will be supporting the weight of the turbo.

So I've been looking at the DSM and the T3 flanges, I don't see any reason why you couldn't fab up some kind of adapter. Space might be an issue though.

In case it's helpful:
DSM:
ZP1pP.jpg

T3:
mUnNB.jpg

Edit: Like this

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts