The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Main radiator fan always running.

SiennaLover69

Hi to all, new to the forums, new to vr-4s, and new to cars in general, lol.

So anyway, here's the deal. I went to get my GVR4 smogged the other, it passed everything except that they couldnt get an accurate reading of the ignition timing because the radiator fan is always running.
Now, me and a friend of mine (who is car knowledgeable) have been trying to figure out why the main radiator fan always runs when the car starts up.

Any suggestions and info would be appreciated.

Wizardawd

A bad radiator fan switch will cause this, it's located under the main fan on the bottom of the radiator.

If you haven't grounded out the timing check terminal, your timing will jump around. By grounding the terminal, the ECU's corrections are removed and you'll see base timing.

Wiz

SiennaLover69

Hey thanks much for the reply. We checked out the radiator fan switch and it wasnt what was causing the fan to keep running.

Wizardawd

Maybe the relay is stuck closed. Should be labeled under the hood in the fuse box. The A/C wouldn't happen to be on would it?

Wiz

Wizardawd

Here's a tuners post that might help. The guy had a 2g so it's a little different. But, his problem was unusual. Turned out he had some heat shield that had shorted out some wiring going to his fans and was causing them to stay on.

click

Here's another post with a scan from the book on the sensor specs.

click

Hopefully this may help.

Wiz

Maybee the guy you bought the car from hot wired it up to run constantly because of other issues, like the fan not clicking on when it should. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

496of2000

Are the fans turning on as soon as you switch the ignition on? Even when the engine is cold?

SiennaLover69

The fans turn on as soon as the key is set to the "on" and runs from there on. I checked the relays and they check out. Its actualy both fans that are running all the time. I checked the sensors on the water neck with known good ones and didnt change anything. All the wiring looks untouched, no splices or cuts or anything out of place.

I will check the switch mentioned under the rad, i was unaware of that one.

OMFGeofffff

I understand you may have done this but make sure the A/C isn't turned on inside the car. There's a circle button right below the hazards button. It has different settings and it lights up green and orange.

496of2000

Unplug the back single wire, this is the AC over temp sensor. When you disconnect it the fans will shut off when you start it up when cold.

SiennaLover69

update!
fans are still running, ive done everything that everyone said on the thread. Except for the switch on the rear of the thermostat housing. me and a few others could not find it. all I know is, is that the motor and transmission was replaced by a previous owner click, . A few days ago, I noticed that the fans dont run as much as they used to. Now when I turn the car on, the fans dont start up, but they do when the motor starts up.

Last edited:

Terry Posten

It is real simple to swap the dash gauge sensor wire with the ECU temp sensor wire.

They are both single wire female spade connectors.

Look at the gauge on the dash, is it not working or all the way over to the hot side?

Try switching those two wires around. If they are swapped, the fans run all the time.

SiennaLover69

The gauge is working fine. But I was told that if the wires were switched, the check engine light would be on, on the dash but it isnt.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned