The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Main Bearing Specs

JspecVR4

I am currently rebuilding a 1990 JDM galant vr4 engine. Today we were installing the main bearings and realised that the bearings that we ordered from our local auto parts store is smaller than what was previously installed(rebuilt by the previous owner). Does anyone have any experience with running these sizes? I'm thinking of returning the bearings and buying a new set that matches what was previously installed. Any recommendations on main bearings? I am located in Australia.

previously installed bearing:
1660131281125.png

New Bearing for auto parts store:

1660131352069.png

yubh8tn

I remember struggling with this on my rebuild. I ended up ordering 3 sets of bearings and only one worked. I couldn't figure out the part number I needed so I called King Engine Bearings, the manufacturer of the most widely recommended bearing for our platform, but they made an error and gave me the part number for a 7 bolt. No regular seller had any in stock so what I ended up having to do was use MAPerformance's website to get part numbers and order them on eBay. That worked perfectly for me for my 6 bolt. I'm not sure if a 90 JDM motor is any different with part numbers but the one that worked for my VIN matching 91 6 bolt was MB5227XP0.25 for the mains and CR4481XP0.26 for the rods. 0.25 and 0.26 are the undersize measurements, yours may look different. 0.26 has an extra thousandth for oil flow, I would have preferred 0.25 but I ended up with those as they were the only ones I could find for sale.

BeerySquash

Edit: Just noticed you said main bearings, the ones shown below are rod bearings.

Not sure if this helps, but first pic is an old King STD out of my 6-bolt, second pic is a new ACL Race bearing, third pic with part#

20220811_170558.jpg

20220811_170720.jpg

20220811_170743.jpg

Last edited:

JspecVR4

Update: Got new main bearings that are the same size as what was previously installed. Going to do the bottom end tomorrow.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts