The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Maf, Mas, Maft?

EgonOlsen

As you all know im a car illiterate, so now its time for me to understand what all this crap is. :p

A friend of mine told me of a Chip he use in his VR-4(converted GTI) and it looks good, anyone here use it or have an oppinion on it?
VR-4 Performance Chip

Automatic compensation of bigger injectors or AFM(if thats a Mas) sounds good.

While I read this I ran into the term AFM and got confused, I figured it was the Maf or summat?

Anyway can someone explain the different terms if they are the same or what the difference is?

Mas, Maf, Maft, Map, Afm.

turbowop

AFM = air flow meter
MAF/MAS/MAFS = mass air flow sensor (same thing as an AFM)
MAFT = maf translator (product designed by Fullthrottle Speed to allow the use of a GM hotwire MAF, or in the case of the pro version, for speed density)

MAP = manifold air pressure (sensor mostly used in speed density applications in conjunction with an intake air temp sensor and the electronics required to control it all, like Maftpro or ECMlink)

Airflow sensors come in a variety of flavors like Karmen Vortex and Hotwire. I'm sure Google can explain the differences better than I can.

Last edited:

mikus

they're mostly acronyms used to describe a sensor that measures airflow/air density, for the purpose of computing appropriate fuel delivery. I wouldn't even worry about the acronyms, they're used so interchangeably.

MAFT is a proprietary device, MAF-translator. A piggyback system.

MAP is a whole different guy - that measures asbolute air pressure. It, with other sensors, perform the same calculation for air/fuel --- just with a different set of data.

Dang! ^^^ Mark has had PNW coffee, I cant compete with that.

Last edited:

EgonOlsen

Ty, had a feeling most of them where the same, just wanted to make sure.

Any comments on that chip?

mikus

ECU chips are a cost-effective approach to handling equipment changes if you don't want to shell out the cash for a PC-interface system. They're commonly used in the states.

GirlyVR4

Chips are generally just one big scam.

You need to make sure you have an EPROM ECU in your car from the text in the ad... do you know if you have an EPROM ECU?

Get a piggy-back system (S-AFC or similar), with a boost controller.

Launch

Compensation is needed for larger injectors; piggy backs only lie about air values(Hz)to give or take fuel (and subsequently timing)
If you use bigger injectors and use a piggy back to 'pull' or 'lean it out' etc its still going to run rich and not right.

mikus

Quote:
Chips are generally just one big scam.

would you expand on why you feel this way, to help the OP with his decision?

GirlyVR4

generally speaking, they're usually just a bunch of BS. This one sounds semi legit, since he seems to know the difference between EPROM, etc. I've never heard of it or used it, so, I can't really say much more than my initial opinion on the ad.

The OP needs to make sure he has an EPROM ECU though, before going ahead with consider the chip.

boostedinaz

"Chips" have been used for a long time with DSMs with great results. TMO made them back in the day and more recently Key Diver was making them specific to your cars setup.

What you are probably thinking of is the generic resistors that are sold on Ebay as "chips".

GirlyVR4

That very well could be what I'm associating it with... The term "chip" just never sat well with me I guess.

Andy_S

Quoting turbowop:
AFM = air flow meter

Technically an AFM and a MAS/MAS isn't the same. An AFM is a flap door or similar often found on old toyotas and many other vehicles. Its true they both do the same thing, but the term really shouldn't be used interchangeably.

Andy_S

I get your point, but if we are going to give out information it might as well be as accurate as possible right?

EgonOlsen

Ok yes I have an Eprom ECU and I know I needded that.

Basically what I wondered was the AFM and Injector remarks on the chip.

I know you can make a chip specifically for your setup but then you ofc need to change it when you change setup, thats logical enough.

Thats why I stopped when I rerad on the add that the chip automatically compensated for different MS or Injectors, thats what I wondered about because I didnt think that was possible to make in 1 chip.

ATM. I have an Ostrich and Jackal, however I am not the best at tuning(more like the worst) and once I get a 3g MAS I prolly wont change my setup that much.
Also Keydiver dont make chips anymore or I would have considered that.

turbowop

Quoting Andy_S:
I get your point, but if we are going to give out information it might as well be as accurate as possible right?

That's why I added that last paragraph in my first reply regarding the different flavors of airflow sensors. To me, they all just meter the air passing through them in one way or another, regardless of their technical name, which could get crazy when labeling so many different specific types of airflow sensors, yanno?

fuel

Quoting Andy_S:
Quoting turbowop:
AFM = air flow meter

Technically an AFM and a MAS/MAS isn't the same. An AFM is a flap door or similar often found on old toyotas and many other vehicles. Its true they both do the same thing, but the term really shouldn't be used interchangeably.

I think it's more of a terminology difference if anything. You Americans tend to call them MAS while Europeans, Australians and NZers call them AFMs. I would say the Toyota flap type and the Mitsubishi Karmen Vortex type both meter air flow (AFM) and sense a mass of air passing through (MAS). Same with the Nissan/Subaru or GM type hot-wire units, they do the same job and are fitted exactly the same way within the intake system, just they do the job with different methods.

fuel

also I should note that the guy selling the chip on Trademe posts here as user MX4.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts