The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Machine Shop Recommendations

Dan D

#410’s motor and tranny are out. I’ll start busting things apart tonight. I’m still trying to nail down a parts lists for the motor and decide if I want to stay with a 2.0 or go 2.3. I’ll probably stick with a stock’ish rebuild with a bumped up CR for the sake of saving some money. The head will be stock with maybe some cams and evo 8 springs/retainers and basic cleanup machining.

I have no clue where to have the machine work done. Does anyone have recommendations on who to have do the machine work? Local to me is a plus, but if I have to ship, I have to ship.

At the end of the day, what ends up being more cost effective – going through buying a bunch of parts, giving them to a machine shop, etc. and hope it all goes together right or just buying a short block from someone like JNZ or an oem shortblock from my local DSM friendly mitsu dealer for $1700-$2000.

Advice & Opinions requested

I don't know about these motors, but depending on what is done it should cost you MUCH less than those numbers to get what you want done.

I had a 4 cyl (they are pretty much all the same as far as a machine shop is concerned) cleaned, bored and honed to fit my new pistons, decked, surfaced, three angle valve job, new guides and valve seals installed, for less than $1000.
I'm sure I missed a few important things in that list that were done, my point is that even if you were to throw on a master rebuild kit, you will probably get in under those numbers you quoted and have essentially a zero mile motor.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts