The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Lug nuts whats good and whats not...

onesickcrx

One of my good friends needs me to order him some good lug nuts for his wheels for his CRX. I also could use a good set of lug nuts for my 17's on my Galant do to my projected power level and knowing I plan on pushing this car hard in the turns and straights or side ways /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I want top of the line lug nuts. {No autozone specials}

After reading about people having issues with wheels coming off while driving because of bad lugs on this forum a couple months ago I started looking into this.

I know Brands like Volk, Buddy Club, 5Zigen, TiTek, Works, Rays and so forth are all supposed to be good, but with that said I have a hard time trusting my life to Aluminum, Magnesium and Titanium lug nuts

I am ready to make a purchase

What's everyone's opinions... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

jepherz

Staff member
You wouldn't trust titanium lug nuts? Not sure I've ever even seen them.

I find it hard to believe bad lug nuts caused anybody's wheels to fall off. I'm guessing they were using the wrong style for the wheels they were running.

Barnes

Quoting jepherz:

Now you have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

As long as the product was properly engineered, and you use it for it's listed application, it should be fine. That is to say, if the company making the forged aluminum lug nuts says they are okay for street use, they are probably okay for street use.

The Blox Racing ones are forged 7075 aluminum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

jepherz

Staff member
Wow. I would definitely trust those....with the lives of my children that I don't even have.

NateCrisman

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif $375 set of 20 lug nuts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Barnes

The aluminum ones are much cheaper but are probably still a bit lighter than steel ones.

NateCrisman

yeah, the AL ones are $90 and likely are the best ratio of weight/$.

I should weigh a set of 20 stock lugnuts and see what we are talking about since it's rotating weight.

H05TYL

Quoting Hertz:
#1, use the correct lugnuts for the wheels.

+ torque them correctly.

onesickcrx

So you think the Aluminum ones are strong enough? Just seems like a steel would be so much stronger, but I cant find any steel tuner lug nuts that arent some spline style

fivestardsm

Quoting jepherz:

I find it hard to believe bad lug nuts caused anybody's wheels to fall off. I'm guessing they were using the wrong style for the wheels they were running.

I beg to differ on the junk lug issue, This was because the lugs were a set of cheap-o junk that the threads actually pulled out of. Now granted they had been used a few times, but it still would not have happened with a better quality lug > click

As for the propper lugs for the wheels though, I completely 100% agree!

Last edited:

onesickcrx

So where did you get those lugs and what brand were they?

What lugs do all you guys run with rims since stocks wont work or fit?

H05TYL

I got a set of Work forged nuts to go with my Work XD9's, not cheap tho....

onesickcrx

I am ok with the steep price long as it does it's purpose have you put a bunch of miles on since buying the lug nuts?

H05TYL

only done a couple of thousand miles on them, Work recommends 12-15kgf/m which is ~86-108 lb/f (I only just found that now, none of them have worked loose though).

Also they are ridiculously light - come with matching locknuts too.

onesickcrx

I like these Buddy Club's
Buddy Club Lugs
I also like these 5Zigen's
5Zigen
But I still feel like I have to question there strenth. I have had issue's with brand BLOX back in my Honda days so those are out.
I like Project Mu's but I think they are to big when I add the socket to fit in my wheel's
Project Mu

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts