The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

LSD rear in Galant GSX Question

BeerySquash

I have a 90 Galant GSX and found a 1G VLSD 3-bolt rear I want to use in the car. The GGSX has a 2.846 diff ratio, the VLSD is a 3.545, can I swap this into the car or will I need a matching transmission from the 1G dsm also?

I'm used to working on 4wd's with conventional front and rear diffs where you can't mix ratios unless they're close like a 3.83 and 3.86 or something similar. I don't know how the torque distribution works exactly in these cars, will center diff/trans adjust at road speed or will the tires be fighting to turn different speeds?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

BeerySquash

Thanks, sounds like I'll be grabbing the whole trans out of the dsm, likely t-case to have a spare too. From what I've read, the axles in 1G DSM's aren't interchangeable with Galants, do you know if that's correct?

yubh8tn

Thanks, sounds like I'll be grabbing the whole trans out of the dsm, likely t-case to have a spare too. From what I've read, the axles in 1G DSM's aren't interchangeable with Galants, do you know if that's correct?
As long as the axle is a manual axle I believe they are the same and therefore interchangeable. Hopefully someone who knows for sure can confirm though

BeerySquash

The axles are from a 90 Talon AWD Turbo M/T (5lug) and would be going in my 90 Galant AWD N/A M/T (4lug).

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I don't know the interchange with GGSX stuff so much, but perhaps the VLSD diff can be put in the original GGSX housing with the original 2.846 ring and pinion?

BeerySquash

I don't know the interchange with GGSX stuff so much, but perhaps the VLSD diff can be put in the original GGSX housing with the original 2.846 ring and pinion?
That's what I was thinking too, I did the same on one of my montero's, used the locker from a 4.27 rear in a 4.90 gear set. In the Galant's case, I would prefer the 3.545 overall, so just using the whole DSM setup just with Galant driveshaft might be what I'll do.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
well in that case, I might have a rear diff for you, but I know for sure I have a ring and pinion set available. I used the VLSD center section and have the rest of the parts left over.

misterfixit

GGSX is a w5M31 box, GVR4 is a W5m33 box. Wider gears and slightly larger (higher strength)

You could rebuild the og rear with the diff out of the LSD one. You'd need to swap the ring gear over, that would also solve the ratio issue. No need to tear the front apart then.

Rich

BeerySquash

At first I just wanted it for the VLSD, but I'm thinking the stronger trans will be worthwhile as well as the improved gearing. I'm thinking I'll get the 3.545 trans/t-case/rear diff/axles, and wait to find a clutch type LSD, then swap the LSD into the 3.545 rear if I can.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts