The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Lower fuel level indication after replacing pump

I replaced the stock fuel pump with a Walbro 190lph one and now when my tank is full the needle is just below the "F". It is not a huge deal...but it is noticeable.

I am guessing that I messed up the sender when I was in there.

Any ideas as to what I could have messed up or bent?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

jepherz

Staff member
The main float arm probably got bent. If so, when full, the armature is probably not at the top of its travel.

Thanks for your thoughts. I don't think it would be worth me going back in there just for that!
More curious than anything. I will probably just live with it provided that I don't get a run out of gas suurprise! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mines Been like that since I got her, and has the factory pump still. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

lol...It really isn't that bad...but if some of you are living with it I will too!

It is probably like 1/20th off. Hopefully this means the low fuel idiot light comes on sooner too!

I am scared to take it apart for that. I figure that would not be able to see the bend if it is slight and create a situation where my
cheap behind would have to buy a new one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Don't be scared. Have you ever changed a fuel pump?........Same concept. Itpersonally hasn't really irritated the sh*t out of me yet, so I havenent messed with it. Besides, since the bolts on the cover have never been tampered with, I assume it's never been out to get bent. I just figured it was normal. I know theres some other guys on here with the same problem, so IDK. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

JSchleim18

Nah it's a good thing and I wouldn't really worry about it too much. If the gas light comes on sooner it will never leave you empty.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting blkchr91:
lol...It really isn't that bad...but if some of you are living with it I will too!

It is probably like 1/20th off. Hopefully this means the low fuel idiot light comes on sooner too!

I am scared to take it apart for that. I figure that would not be able to see the bend if it is slight and create a situation where my
cheap behind would have to buy a new one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The idiot light is a separate sensor, so it will come on when it was supposed to anyways.

DailyDSM

^yep. I really doubt it is a bent rod. The level sensor is very sensitive and is easy to mess up during a fuel pump swap. Mine permanently reads full but my low fuel level light still works and I just reset my trip odometer at every fill up to get an idea of how much I have left.

Strong replies all, thank you very much. Good to know that the idiot light is a seperate sensor. In actuality (as if I really care right now) if I want to do
a mpg check it wouldn't be effected either. I have another vehicle as my DD for that kind of stuff though.

DR1665

Quoting jepherz:

The idiot light is a separate sensor, so it will come on when it was supposed to anyways.

I suspect I could benefit from some fuel level sending unit adjustment. If there's one thing about these cars that annoys me more than anything else, it's how the low fuel light comes on at just below half a tank. If the Galant had a 4 gallon tank, I'd understand, but it's kind of annoying.

On my 2G Talon, the low fuel light came on consistently when 3 gallons remained. That meant I had at least 100 miles of driving left. (sigh) My GVR4 only goes about 220 miles before that light comes on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

jepherz

Staff member
The electronics behind the E39s fuel pickup are just crude, plain and simple. My old '93 eclipse was 10 times better and more accurate, both the level indicator and the dummy light.

turbofonz

These cars have idiot lights? Damn, I've ran mine low low and it never came on.

My car also doesn't read full. I did toss a 255lph before I put the car together.

Quoting DR1665:
Quoting jepherz:

I suspect I could benefit from some fuel level sending unit adjustment. If there's one thing about these cars that annoys me more than anything else, it's how the low fuel light comes on at just below half a tank. If the Galant had a 4 gallon tank, I'd understand, but it's kind of annoying.

On my 2G Talon, the low fuel light came on consistently when 3 gallons remained. That meant I had at least 100 miles of driving left. (sigh) My GVR4 only goes about 220 miles before that light comes on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

haha, if i've gone 220 miles, i'm LUCKY if i have another 100 miles left worth of gas in my tank, and that's driving conservatively /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

turbofonz

My last tank was 280 miles and no sign of a light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

My 1g it'll come on often...

I must of broke something.

jepherz

Staff member
My car typically goes 240 miles, that's not very good.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

turbofonz

The day after I respond to this thread, my low fuel light comes on. LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts