The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Looking for front door card removal tips...

moduleunknown

I expected that removing the door card would be pretty straightforward, but I was mistaken.

I have been defeated and am now asking for help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Here's where I'm stuck...

Looking at the picture, I've removed the following:
Triangle/Sail panel
Two screws on the left side of the panel (upper, and lower left of the speaker cover)
Door release cover
Door handle
Lower light
Two screws on the right side of the panel (upper and lower)

I understand there are three hooks/clips along the bottom of the door card and that I need to pull the door card up rather than pry out. This is where the problem lies.

When trying to pull the door card up, there is more upward movement on the lower left and center clips than the lower right. In addition to that, there is no movement along the top of the door card. The silver trim piece along the top of the door does not move.

If I try pushing up from the bottom, the door card begins to bulge out in the center.

I'm hesitant to apply more force than I've already used. In fact, I'm surprised this thirty year old plastic and cardboard hasn't already broken.

I have not yet tried removing the driver side door panel. Once I figure out how to remove the passenger side, I expect that one will likely pop right off with no trouble at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Does anyone have any helpful tips to remove this thing before I break something? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pot

Staff member
Good morning. Based upon your notes I will add before you begin to push upward, you need to begin by prying preferably with a plastic trim tool outward starting at the bottom.

*There are three or four black plastic squarish tabs that the door card must clear which can only be accomplished by prying out outward first.

Lastly, the door lock tab should be depressed in the lock position for clearance when you do push upward.

Hope this tip helps. If you still have trouble please post.

moduleunknown

Quoting 467:
Service manual chap42 pg76 click

Thanks for the link.

I probably should have added that I have the manual and referenced it yesterday to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious and confirm the location and style of clips. Beyond that, it wasn't much help.

...also spent some time searching this site.

The panel seems to be stuck along the top against the glass.

moduleunknown

Quoting pot:
Good morning. Based upon your notes I will add before you begin to push upward, you need to begin by prying preferably with a plastic trim tool outward starting at the bottom.

*There are three or four black plastic squarish tabs that the door card must clear which can only be accomplished by prying out outward first.

Lastly, the door lock tab should be depressed in the lock position for clearance when you do push upward.

Hope this tip helps. If you still have trouble please post.

Thanks, I'll give this a shot.

I did try prying out in an attempt to peek between the panel and door yesterday, but didn't try out and up simultaneously.

gvr4ever

It's probably been over 20 years since I've taken that off, but I remember it being pretty smooth sailing. It's hard to make out from the pic what that it, but it looks like something might be holding it on.

Good luck.

moduleunknown

Yeah, the poorly focused old phone just doesn't capture as much detail as I'd like. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

That's just a plastic washer that has become one with the panel (like the one above it).

Here's what you spotted ...(minus the screw)

Anyway, gave it another go this morning with no luck.

Decided to move on to the driver's side. Same issue over there. All screws removed. There's nothing holding the panel to the door. The driver's side allows for easier upward movement of the panel with more play than the passenger side. What seems to be holding the door panels on (both sides) is the silver/chrome trim along the top of the door that runs parallel with the window. It doesn't move at all when pushing or pulling up on the panel. When I push/pull the panel up, it begins to bow out in the center since the top of the panel remains secured to the door. I can't figure this one out. It's either some little thing that I've now missed on both sides, or thirty years has fused these pieces together. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Last edited:

gvr4ever

I'd imagine maybe one of or a few of the plastic clips might have hardened or become brittle over time. I ordered something very close to this.

click

They are super cheap, and you can get something nicer and more expensive, but I'd think that might be the right path.

I suspect you are doing the right thing, just dealing with age and plastic dry rot.

moduleunknown

Success!

Figured it out. The issue was two-fold.

Along the top of the panel are metal u-clips with teeth. See blurry photo...

Those had really dug into the door!

I had to get a small hook in there and really pull up hard before they let go.

...and my second issue was a piece of vinyl on the back side of the door that had hooked itself to one of the plastic screw clips on the right side of the door (also near the top). When pressing/pulling up, that required additional force which slightly tore the vinyl on the inside before it let loose. Pic attached.

Fun times!

Thanks for the suggestions.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Late to the party, but I was going to suggest it was just stuck on hard at the top. I recall those toothed clips now. I have usually put in a non-marring tool along that top lip to get it started in the upward direction the first time removing.

Doesn't sound like you missed it, but there is also that lower screw buried in the carpet strip along the bottom of the door that is ofter hard to see.

idreamidrive

I am glad someone else posted about this, because I have had the same problem getting the card off, or not off in my case. Thank you for posting this

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts