The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Lifter choices

James

I need to replace mine and I was jut curious about the different brands and prices.

Right now I'm on MAPs website looking at their "ITM revised lifters" for $95

Ill continue looking at different stores while this convo sparks up

EHmotorsports

I have topline in my galant. I had one that wouldnt pump up but I sent it back and they swapped it out for me. After that no issues.

Last edited:

DynastyLCD

there's the GSC ones too, i don't know anyone who used them though. i picked up a set of Evo 9 lifters from nickbuilt a year or so ago. got em for around $70 shipped. they work great, look just like the 3mm ones too. rock auto lists the same lifter for an Evo and for a GVR4.

James

^^ responded to your PM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CutlassJim

Evo lifters are 3G (Third generation) lifters. I have used both Mitsu and Topline 3G lifters with no problems. Nickbuilt is a solid seller, have no reservations buying from him.

James

Picking up a set from dynasty. Hope it fixes my problem!

James

Also I'm curious about the pice differences between the brands. Some are $100 some $150 and others $200. Is there's that big of a difference between them?

citymunky

OEM 3g here.

brisvr4

eBay here. Engbldr is the seller I think. About 5 years old and still going great.

IncorpoRatedX

You guys need to port the oil feed for the lifters. revised lifters are just a band aid. I'm running 1g lifters in my wagon without a single tick, my room mate has 1g lifters in his 1g laser, no tick, ever. both ported oil feeds.

DSCF3926-1.jpg

James

Perhaps porting the oil feed is the bandaid.

In a chicken or egg type of a way

G

Staff member
Why do you need to replace yours? If it's because of lifter tick on your stock ones, alpha is right. A little porting and your all good with the stock ones. I didn't even get tick on cold start ups.

img1471fw.jpg

James

Yea mine tick really badly. Bad enough to give me a constant 45 counts of knock below 3500rpms. Perhaps ill replace the lifters and do some work on the feeds. I never see replacing 20 year old parts as a bad thing.

89Mirageman

I've been meaning to look at the junkyard but keep forgetting but I'm betting the 2000-2005 Kia Optima and Hyundai Sonata have the 3g style lifters. They can be picked up for cheap from the "You pull it" yards if so.

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting James:
Perhaps porting the oil feed is the bandaid.

In a chicken or egg type of a way

Wrong.

The stock feed is very minimal in terms of flow, if the head has EVER been resurfaced, that feed has become even smaller. if the engine is high in miles and never had any engine work done, that feed is likely full of oil residue, coked up, baked in, ancient oil.

This isnt some 'trick' this is a legitimate fix. But, it's also free, thus you're subject to vendors rejecting the method.

raptorWagon

I had lifter tick at one point, but once the 14b oil seals went out during my roadtrip from VA to WA and checking oil/adding a quart every time I got gas, it cleaned the oil system right out and never had lifter tick or rather sticky lifters again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

codeofdastreets

Sucks I had a set of 3g lifters I basically threw in with a sale of a 1g head with no extra charge, if I knew you needed them I would gave them to you.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned