The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Legitimate RHD Question

bustedsm

Looking at possibly conquering this project sometime next winter and want some of your opinions. Yes, I completely understand EVERYTHING involved and I'm actually excited to get it done to be different. Let me know what you guys think?!

RHD is extremely overrated, trust me. You already drive a rare car, just be happy with that and dont mess up the structural rigidity of your car.

bustedsm

It's in the theory phase right now, I've got a lot of trust in my welding skills so the firewall is a joke...

SmoothCustomer

Ask Ken Inn..he converted his legacy wagon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif (I don't even know if he had anything to do with it, I just know it was done).

bustedsm

Ah gotcha....I understand the rareness of the vehicle, hence the full interior street car build thread. No cage will ever touch this car....ever!

H05TYL

I wouldn't (well, mine are already rhd but we drive on the left, so i wouldn't ever convert them to lhd) for one simple reason - it makes it nearly impossible to see when it's safe to overtake.

I don't really see any benefit to it other than wank factor - it'd probably be easier to import a JDM vr4 and just swap your plates and tags onto it...

fivestardsm

I bought my first VR4 with the intent to do a RHD conversion. I found a place on line that said they would be able to get me everything all the way from the front cut, to the 2 front door panels, and all the way back to the rear end so I could run the JDM transmission. He even said he would beable to get me the rear window with wiper and all for an exta $200- $250.

I would not do this unless the car was in really bad need, such as this one...

It has a rebuildable title. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

turbowop

I don't understand the want to have a RHD car. Hell, I wish the older Skylines came in LHD. A buddy of mine had a RHD Legacy wagon that was setup that way for the post office. When I tried to hit the left blinker, the wipers came on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Anyway, I certainly didn't feel any cooler steering from that side of the car.

fivestardsm

My reasoning was the fact that it would be different. Also at the time I bought the car, I had a very hard time finding any front clips for it. And then I found this site and realized how rare they are. One way or another, I will get mine back on the road (even if it is on a trailer headed for the scrap..I kidd)

Hertz

Staff member
Well you definitely have a good reason. Forget the wow factor sh*t. JDM front clips are far more obtainable than USDM clips. Save a VR-4.

Specter

I own a rhd galant, though not a vr4, it does have a 4g63t. Galants are quite rare here, i wanted it to be as close to a vr4 as possible but making it awd is just too much for little advantage. Your vr4's are even a rare breed of galants. Theres nothing special in a rhd vr4. If you really want to make it more unique, do something else to it which will make it stand out from other vr4s. The money and time spent on converting to a rhd can be spent on other stuff which will have more appreciation.

fivestardsm

You make a good point of the fact that there are thousands of VR4's through out the rest of the world.

Although they are common place in other parts of the world, there are but only a couple, if not only 1 that I have heard of, that grace our presence here in the USA.

Basically I can chalk it up to 3 reasons for doing it:

[*]1) I would be saving one of the less than 3 thousand VR4's that are left [/list]
[*]B) Everyone wants there car to be different from the rest in a comunity [/list]
[*]last) How cool would it be to pull through the McDonalds driving backwards! [/list]

misterfixit

and not to mention the differenc in the looms. (they run down the other side of the car to the trunk. also you need the whole centre console and everything underneath as the handbrake swaps sides too.

Rich

evo8ya

Quoting turbowop:
A buddy of mine had a RHD Legacy wagon that was setup that way for the post office. When I tried to hit the left blinker, the wipers came on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif That's funny you say that. I've driven a JDM evo VII and yeah I had more problems using the turn signals than actually shifting the car. It was cool but it would be a PITA to use a RHD as a DD. Hope you like eating at Checkers with a RHD. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hertz

Staff member
Quoting Hertz:
Well you definitely have a good reason. Forget the wow factor sh*t. JDM front clips are far more obtainable than USDM clips. Save a VR-4.

Oops I got a reply mixed up with the OP.

Was that your craptastic Typhoon at MOD? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

fivestardsm

I am so confused... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I would never do a RHD swap. I was at the Toronto auto show and talked to a guy from a business that deals in importing european and aisian cars that you can't get in Canada. We got on the subject of what could be imported Mitsu wise and he said they would be getting in a few Evo IIIs. He said they are in the $8-10k range. Why don't you just import an Evo III? I have never seen one and it comes with like 300hp stock. That would be much cooler than a VR4 in my mind. But if you wanted to do a RHD swap, It would be easier just to get an entire JDM front clip and weld it on, right?

sag1441

Quoting RTSGVR-4:
RHD is extremely overrated, trust me. You already drive a rare car, just be happy with that and dont mess up the structural rigidity of your car.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
my friends and i are always nutswinging your car when we see you around.

i think its like being a kid and having a trampoline, every kid in the neighborhood wants to jump on it but youre just always like meh, lets do something else.

Dont get me wrong, I like my car. I would just enjoy driving it around town more if it were LHD. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I can see swapping to a RHD front clip if the car is damaged, but I cant see messing up a 3000-unit special edition just to get the ooh-aah factor. And its more emberassing than cool to go through drive-thru's backwards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. I just reach over the seat... lol

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts