The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

leaking coolant, driver side?

hey, i replaced my turbo yesterday, after reattaching all the coolant hoses and lines threw the radiator and filling it with a flush of water, the system started poring out the driver side, somewhere above the alternator/oil filter region. and there isn't a crack or leak from the radiator or overflow jug. any clue whats up? does the system even loop over to the driver side?

thanks

Andrew

TylerAdamson

Is it coming from below the radiator or from the motor? If its below the radiator then its likely the drain petcock.

Terry Posten

Still have the stock oil cooler "sandwich" water to oil setup? If so, there are 2 rubber coolant lines that feed and return coolant. They split after time.

It could also be the rubber O-ring on the water pump feed tube.

It could also be a bad water pump gasket or shaft seal.

It could also be the coolant feed from the hard line to turbo.

dsmtalontsi95

Did you put a bigger turbo on the car? If so did you "dent" the water pipe, or did you have to push on the water pipe? It sounds like the water pipe that goes into the water pump is leaking. There is an O ring holding the seal and if you mess it up it will puke water.

14bCrazy

It doesn't sound like he even has started it yet. If that is the case then it can't be the water pump. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Wizardawd

Not true, a water pump can leak with the car off. Usually with pressure behind it, but it's more than likely not that. All the above suggestions are perfect...just basically go thru everything you touched/moved/replaced during the install. You'll find it.

My money is radiator pepcock or bad o-ring in water tube.

Wiz

14bCrazy

Oh and why is this posted in anything goes?

i was given a brand new 16G small turbo with it so i just swapped them straight out. the car started leaking BEFORE we primed the the turbo so it wasn't leaking out of the turbo. there was a pool on the altanator so its leaking above that, which makes NO sense (and its not the overflow container). just checked the petcock and it was sealed up pretty tight, no leak. also filled up the radiator (out of the car) and its not leaking from there. this whole situation makes no sense.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned