The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

LC-1 wideband install question for ECMlink guys

GSTwithPSI

I was trying to wire in my wideband today and ran into an issue. I am attempting to install an Innovate LC-1 and use it with my ECMlink V3 setup click click . The install is pretty straight forward but here's my issue. I need to wire the wideband input to use the EGR temp sensor circuit (ECU pin 15). The problem is there isn't a wire where pin 15 should be in the ECU connector. I'm guessing this isn't a California car, because the wiring schematic suggests California cars are the only ones that come with this circuit. I can't use any other pins as the input either. I'm saving the baro circuit (ECU pin 16) for when I switch to SD so that's out, and I'm keeping the factory O2 (ECU pin 4) so that's out too. I know you can simulate a narrowband signal and eliminate the factory O2, but I still want to keep the factory sensor.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is anyone but me totally missing pin 15? I guess I could go to the junk yard and try and grab a few pins out of a connector, but I'd like a quicker and easier fix if there is one. For you guys who are using link, what ECU input are you utilizing for your wideband? Thanks.

turbowop

Totally normal. You need to pull a spare pin/pigtail from another harness and put it in the ECU connector at pin 15. Then just solder on your wire from the wideband.

And for what it's worth, I'm using the baro input for my PLX, the EGR temp input for my Omni 4bar map sensor, and the intake temp input for the GM IAT sensor.

Using the EGR temp input for the wideband has been known to cause issues unless you use a buffer circuit. It can flatline at 11:1 or so instead of showing much richer mixtures. I might be off on that, but basically it couldn't read low enough if your AF ratio dipped lower. I had that issue originally so I rewired it. But you can't use the baro input unless you go SD.

Last edited:

prove_it

Why are you so determined to use the factory o2? You can simulate narrowband in Link and use the narrowband output on the wideband to run a meter if needed.

I use narrowband simulation and have my LC-1 output wideband to the ecm o2 connector, with GM IAT to the intake temp input and map sensor to the baro input. Works fine, allows wideband datalogging and the ecm still "sees" narrowband for closed loop operation.

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

Wop, thanks a bunch for the info. Could you elaborate on what you mean by not being able to use the Baro circuit unless I switch to SD? I was assuming I could use the baro input right now if I needed to, but that it would be better utilized for a MAP sensor later on when switching to SD. Also, I was under the impression only certain widebands had the error problems using the EGR circuit. Do you know if the issue you were having is isolated, or if that holds true for all wideband sensors? I thought this was the reason that ECMtuning recomends using the LC-1, do to its good compatability with V3. I'm asking because I really have no idea, and any links or info you could provide or point me to would be much appreciated.

And I'm determined to keep the factory O2 becuase IMO it would be dumb not to. I have mulitple ECU inputs that aren't being utilized right now, so why delete the factory O2? Not only does the factory O2 do its job very well, but it is a reliable way to double check my wideband is calibrated and operating as it should. The only way I can see eliminating the factory O2 make sense, is when you are out of ECU inputs and need an extra, in which case eliminating the factory O2 and simulating the narrowband could be an option.

Last edited:

turbowop

Not all widebands setups have the issue. My PLX wouldn't read below about 11.0:1, so I used the baro input instead, which fixed the problem. I know that the 'link guys dislike the AEM setups due to problems getting them to log correctly. If your LC-1 doesn't have problems, carry on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I also still use the factory O2 sensor.

GSTwithPSI

Cool thanks for the info. I don't know if the LC-1 shares this problem, but I guess I'll find out. I think I throw a pin in #15 and give the wideband a try on the EGR circiut. If I have issues, I'll just change it up as you have suggested. And a question for you on an unrelated topic; where did you get your intercooler piping?

turbowop

It's custom fabricated. I had Andre at PINA weld it all up for me at his shop back in '03. He also did the endtanks and intercooler mounts.

prove_it

I don't believe the LC-1 has any issues. I know as far as widebands are concerned the LC-1 has the best resolution, and will meter more preciously with ECMLINK than other sensor kits. Someone posted about this on the LINK forum and even tested an AEM versus LC-1 during dyno pulls and the dyno wideband matched the LC-1 but the AEM showed almost a whole point richer.

Have you signed up for the LINK forum yet? I highly recommend it as there is way more info there.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts