The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Knock problem

Hondakiller

Let see I have been having this problem with knock. The car will lose power and it only does when You are cruising and maintaining speed. From a stop as well but only when when I'm driving normal. Now if I take off from a start and into the throttle hard have no knock. I have a scan master 3 and it's read 43 and flashing all the time. It's been like this from some time now don't know what else to do.

Thanks
Matt

Last edited:

jnava

Staff member
You pretty much have figured out the issue, the goo has probably gone thus making it more sensitive to engine noise. Lifter tick can definitely cause it but first check if the goo is missing off the knock sensor.

LIV4PSI

Yes, the ECU pulls timing when it sees knock. Your computer is trying to slow your car down, because it thinks there is severe detonation.

Last edited:

Hondakiller

I change the knock sensor. And same problem. This might be a dumb question but can too hot of plugs be causing the knock? Cuz the only time knock happen is when cursing. The car has 170,000 miles on it. Iv been slowly working on this car. About a year ago I put on all new timing parts, water pump, new half size rad, new head, all new gaskets, all new hoses plus vacuum lines, and a new evo III turbo. With 15 psi. Drove it for about six months No problems. I thank I change the spark plugs from normal NGK plugs to the NGK IX iridium plugs. Then parked it for about four months. Started driving it for about a month now. I just recently put on FP manifold, 3" down pipe. 3" to the back, clutch, EPROM not in yet, and of corse a new knock sensor. The lifter have a small tick but not bad it all ways had it. But the main problem is I don't know to much about knock. So anything could help!

Thanks
Matt

beaner

43 is the max the ecu will see for knock, so something is wrong.

How did you tighten the sensor to the block? The sensor will misread is over tightened and its _way_ easy to do so. I'm not sure on the exact tq spec, but it's very little. I tightened my sensor with my hand, and a dab of thread lock for peace of mind.

mitsuturbo

Something is definitely amiss. If it were a knock sensor connection issue, i believe it would count 9, and throw a CEL.

If you're seeing 43 counts of knock on a NEW knock sensor, i'd start investigating timing (including mechanical timing of cams/crank), intake leaks, airflow, and fuel delivery.

Are you seeing knock in off-boost conditions as well?

Hondakiller

I've check the timing it at 5 degrees at idle. The only time knock happens is from a stop, and cruising. If mash the throttle it will hesitate for a second and then clear up.

Hondakiller

No I don't. But I have a A/F gauge. It reads optimum when cruising. And rich when heavy on the throttle at higher speeds. But for the must part its reads optimum.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned