The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

K&N Filter?

xaisomboun

Hey owner of 313 here! So since buying this car, it came with an HKS Pod style filter, but the can that holds the maf sensor and was attached to seemed to be very different than the usual ones I am seeing on 4g63 engines...

I read up on the VFaq and from what the pictures tell me, I have a completely different looking air can... Ill try to post pictures up soon so you guys know what Im talking about!

My question is how would I go about replacing the HKS with the K&N filter? I took off the Pod and it seems that the can is supposed to work with the Pod..

-EDIT- heres the pic of the aircan im talkinga bout!
blahblah

Last edited:

GSX_TC

isnt that a stock airbox? you should be able to use a K&N still, should look something like this.

IMG_1912.jpg

Diego

I have that same Canister and HKS, I was told they were rare, but no evidence has surfaced.

My question is why change it to a K&N? The HKS does its job.

Either stay or change to a 2G mas with adapter and spacer and then run a K&N (like I did). It wasn't that I wanted to ditch the box with filter but I needed to upgrade so it had to go. Currently it sits in a box

bobdole

I would say the HKS intake kit is rare. Been discontinued for a while. I had one on my old VR4 back in 1999. The one in that picture might be the Eclipse kit. Doesn't sit in the correct position. Also the HKS filter is still available and a good one if you replace it when you are surppose too. If you leave them in there for to long they will start falling apart. You can order from any HKS dealer.

xaisomboun

Well the filter that came with it is pretty damn old, from the looks of it I need to change it badly.

And from what I've heard, K&N's usually last longer and are reusable! Where as the HKS Pod filter is a one time kind of thing and you cant wash it, and you gotta replace it more often..

It seems as though I cannot use this can with the K&N and I am left no choice than to just replace it with a new HKS for now..

Anyone know a site in which I could order it?! ;D

GSX_TC

xaisomboun

Whoa whoa! I dont need all that extra junk do I!?!?

I just need to replace the filter element itself! Im looking on the HKSUSA site and its like 26 ish bucks, but no where it says I can actually order it D:

GSX_TC

thats because HKS usa is no more. they only in japan now, but you might get lucky and find someone with some on their shelf here.

GSX_TC

this thread is for you then click

bobdole

HKS is still selling in the US. They will have a US distributor. Let me know I can help you get the filter if need be.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts