The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Just the battery? ... sorted!!!

cheekychimp

I recently picked up a bone stock 1990 RHD JDM VR4 from Japan.

The car is in excellent shape but when I first looked at it (several months back), it was throwing an intermittent CEL. After a short drive the CEL disappeared and whilst all the documentation for the car was going through the importer supposedly had a garage check this out. Now I have no reason not to believe he did this but I suppose you can never really be sure unless you do something yourself, but anyway he came back and told me they'd plugged in a diagnostic computer and the car wasn't throwing any codes.

So fast forward to about a week or so ago and after I picked up the car it would do the same thing. Drives perfectly, exhibits no signs of any problems whatever. Pulls strong (well as strong as it can on the stock 7 psi or whatever) no break ups, idles smooth but when cold it throws a CEL light usually on deceleration as you push the clutch in coming up to a junction. On more than one occasion it has flashed a number of the warning lights for brakes (ABS), oil and CEL.

Dan (sixsixtwo) is in town at the moment and has been out in the car a few times. He mentioned something about how a faulty alternator can cause the CEL and brake (I presume ABS again?) idiot lights to come on. I became a bit suspicious at this stage as the car usually started straight up but occasionally wouldn't turn over and struggled to start as if the battery was very low. Last night after pigging out at TGI Fridays, I could see the dash lights starting to dim on the way home. It was night, we had the headlights on, the AC was on full power and we were doing a lot of stop and go driving, with four people in the car. As soon as I dropped Dan off and hit the highway, things seemed better.

This morning I tried to start the car and the battery was pretty much dead. It really didn't sound as if it would start but suddenly it turned over and fired. As soon as it started it ran fine. I'm leaning towards the battery not holding a charge. If I start the car and disconnect the battery and it still runs is that any indication of the alternator serviceability or do I need to get a multimeter on it to be sure? I have a good alternator I can swap in but I didn't really want to be doing that this weekend. One other thing I noticed was a low pitched whine coming from behind the radio bezel area. Is the MPI relay in there? It was not a clicking sound, definitely a whine but that is the only other thing I can think of in that area linked to these particular symptoms.

I think I will change the battery regardless but I think I should confirm the charging system is healthy or I'm just going to be masking the issue for a few more days until the new larger battery runs down. Anything else I am missing or should be checking? Battery terminal connections? Specific Grounds etc?

Last edited:

Terry Posten

Get a volt meter and wire it to the cig lighter and take it for a drive.

You should have at least 14 volts cold running and it may drop to low 13's when hot and running.

If the voltage is in the 12's or lower when running, the Alt is bad. If you always have 13+ volts when running then I would say the alt is OK and the battery wont hold.

Even with every thing on (lights, A/C, fans, etc..) and the car running you should have 13 volts out of the alt. If it drops into the 12's or lower, it is weak/bad.

cheekychimp

Interesting!

I tried to charge my phone using the cigarette lighter socket in the car and it wouldn't work at all (charger cable works fine in the Civic). I assumed the cigarette lighter socket was broken or had a blown fuse. I wonder if it fails to put out 12 volts or more?

I'll try that out Terry but if by chance the cigarette lighter socket isn't seeing any power at all is there anywhere else I can tap in to do the same test?

IncorpoRatedX

For just testing you could clamp two wires to the battery terminals, run them under the back side of the hood and then through the window to a volt meter, crude, but it will get the job done and it's going straight to the source rather than bringing in variables like fuses, deteriorated wires or corrosion. (unless the battery terminals are corroded haha)

cheekychimp

No, the terminals look fine: -

Guess what Dan and I are doing on Sunday? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

IncorpoRatedX

Having butt sekz???

Damn that engine bay looks clean!

cheekychimp

You should see the underneath of the car, it's unreal. The whole car has less than 75,000 miles on the clock! And no butt sex with Dan, well unless he fixes this alternator/battery problem then he can pretty much have what he wants /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif But I'm pretty sure he only loves me because I promised to get him cyclone gaskets ... so shallow!

sixsixtwo

No! Not the butt sekz! But I will help you replace the battery/alternator or whatever is acting up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting cheekychimp:
You should see the underneath of the car, it's unreal. The whole car has less than 75,000 miles on the clock! And no butt sex with Dan, well unless he fixes this alternator/battery problem then he can pretty much have what he wants /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif But I'm pretty sure he only loves me because I promised to get him cyclone gaskets ... so shallow!

nice! love low milers. On the same note, you should see the bottom of mine, 236,000 and it looks like it has maybe 75k if that! insanely clean.

cheekychimp

Quoting sixsixtwo:
No! Not the butt sekz! But I will help you replace the battery/alternator or whatever is acting up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

No need mate ... it's all done!!!

Bad alternator boys. Took it over to the shop and got Ken to put a multimeter on it. Not even making 10 amps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I asked him what my options were given I needed the car on Monday and he said he could give me my 90 Amp unit back and I could have fun swapping it in over the weekend in 33 degree heat with 100% humidity or I could give him $50 and he'd pull the bad one and put mine in whilst I waited. Kind of a no brainer that one.

When he pulled the old Amp out, I took a look and it was only a freakin' 65 Amp unit anyway! I thought everything on this car was still stock, so I don't know where that came from unless JDM cars got lower output alternators from the factory?

So anyway my good 90 Amp alternator is in there now and I didn't even get my hands dirty. On top of which, he put on two new radiator hoses, a hard upper intercooler pipe and recharged the A/C system whilst he was in there. It's good having friends /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

So no more CEL, car idles about 200 rpms lower and the A/C is now cold. Swweeeeetttt!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

SouthCaliVR4

Good to hear you got to enjoy a simple fix & get your a/c back, sorry to hear you'll be missing out on the butt seckz /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif You probably know someone though, Cops always do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheekychimp

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
sorry to hear you'll be missing out on the butt seckz /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

No no, you did that to me already by offering Hittman full asking price for his smooth sides just as I was about to low ball him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I haven't been able to sit down all week! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned