The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Jdm VS Rebuild

Here is the question. I can get a jdm motor for 1700 with 35000 miles on it or I can rebuild with all stock components for 2400. My goal is 300 hp with a 16g and supporting mods. Should I just save the money and get the jdm or do the rebuild?

Rebuild it. My $1700 JDM motor has smoked on deceleration the entire time I've had it. I even bought it from somebody that was supposed to be reputable. He said it was just in a customers car and it ran perfect. Customer wrecked the car, I bought the motor. Should have paid about $800 at most. Last JDM motor I'll ever buy...

3rdstrikedsm

They lie about mileage as well don't believe them.

2400 Sounds like a good price for a rebuild. Go for it.

I have had mixed, mostly bad, luck with JDM imports. You never know the TRUE mileage, nor the history of the motor.

I have also been sold the wrong part by importers more than once. Not fun to install a trans? Do it twice and see how cool that is.

boostedinaz

I had a buddy buy a JDM motor from an importer. The first he got the timing belt had skipped and trashed the head. Luckily we checked this before even loading it in the truck. The second one they ordered was looking good until we fired it up and drove with for a few minutes. Smoked a little the entire time he had. Had the head rebuilt and the smoking went away. In the end he paid the same as it would cost for a fresh rebuild, but he has a motor with unknow milage on it.

Basic pros of both. JDM is quick and easy. Pull one motor replace it with a another. Might have upgraded parts over a stock US spec motor. Fresh rebuild basically starts you over from the begining. NO MILES all good to go from the begining.

Basic cons of both. JDM you NEVER know the true milage unless the entire front clip is available. YOu also don;t know if the motor is trashed or a good replacment, ost the time, until you put it in the car and ru it. Fresh rebuild takes time to get done and built up. If the machinist doesnt know what he is doing it could take a sh*t within second or run 100K+.

IMO I woul find a good machine shop that is well versed in the 4G63 and have them rebuild the motor. MOst the time if you assemble the motor yourself you can save a TON of cash. I rebuilt the motor in my Talon for about the price of a JDM motor.

Last edited:

Thanks for the post I am going for the rebuild. My machine shop has done multiple 4g63 blocks and is a sponser of a 600 hp 1g talon and did his motor. So I think I can trust him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Thank you again

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts