The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

JDM Transmission

GSTwithPSI

I picked up a JDM transmission and transfer case for the Galant today. I checked here for the part number but no luck (C11BNH HM1951). Anyone know where I can look for some info on what I have (gear ratios and such)? Seller said it's out of a JDM Galant, and it looks really fresh. All I know for sure is it's a 22 spline unit. Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. The guy had 2 other transmissions w/ transfer cases there in the shop (one 23 spline and one 22 spline) when I picked this one up. If any of you guys are looking for a trans/transfer case, he said he will cut good deals on both.

MRmeeTooxD

yea my guy on forum chi_271 actually has a real jdm trans that's switchable from 2wheel drive to 4 wheel drive... now if he just answers my call and my pm then maybe we can resolve this question /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

MellowVR4

I would contact Tim Zimmer at TMZ performance, He should be able to tell you some info on it. click . If he doesnt answer, just email him, He usually gets back to you faster threw email.

fuel

That's not a VR-4 transmission let alone even from a 2.0L car. It comes from a JDM E37A which is 1.8L SOHC MPI 4G37 and 4WD (with drums in the rear). It is even weaker than a GGSX transmission and probably has a 2.846 rear diff ratio.

GSTwithPSI

Damn, thanks fuel. If it does have a 2.846 rear diff ratio it's unusable with the USDM rear end correct? Any good way to check this for sure?

fuel

yes it would be unusable. It should have the same rear ratio as a GGSX which I forget off the top of my head what is is (3.307?)

Let me see if I can find a manual which shows the ratios, but either way it isn't going to be a strong gearbox at all.

fuel

Here's a facelift E37A I found in the junk yard about a year ago, thankfully I took a pic of the VIN plate which shows 2.846 rear axle ratio. It has the W5M31 box but it is more or less the facelift (naming) version of the C11 box.

IMG_20120531_114251.jpg

I can't seem to find an E37A specific W5M31 or C11 ratio list.

*edit* I found ratios for the C37V Lancer wagon with the same 4G37 and KM220/W5M31 trans combination, perhaps they have the same ratios despite different tire rolling diameter.

1st 2.846
2nd 1.833
3rd 1.217
4th 0.888
5th 0.731
Rev 3.166

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

Fuel, can't say thanks enough for all the info! So, in layman's terms, the trans will work, but will be weak correct? I'm just worried about a mismatch in gear ratios between the front and rear differentials. I have the stock 3 bolt in my VR4.

GSX_TC

Def don't want to have mix ratios, I'd get your money back or try to sell it Brett.

GSTwithPSI

It's not a big deal Mike, I just may have to swap the differential out of my other transmission for the time being. I got the transmission super cheap. Hell, the transfer case alone is worth what I paid. Maybe fuel can chime in again and spread some more drivetrain wisdom.

Fuel, going off the ratios you posted, the 2-5 gear ratios in this JDM trans match the 1G/2G FWD cars almost exactly. The 1st gear ratio is that of the galant VR4 (2.846). Just need to figure out what the differential ratios are so I can make sure it will pair with the rear diff without burning up the VC.

Last edited:

misterfixit

Here is a brochure covering the E37A.

The trans ratios are on the info pages at the back of the brochures. Here is the awesomely named Galant Freindy E37A from 91.06

There is another earlier listing in the 89.10 Brochure here:
click

Called the MS-4 and GS-4 respectively.
Both share the same trans ratios for this brochure.

There are listings for the eterna sava in E37A config but I havn't scanned that brochure, There are no 1.8 4wds listed for the Eterna.

Hope this helps,

Rich

GSTwithPSI

Rich, thanks very much for the info!!! The chart is a little hard to decipher though. From the looks of it, it appears the E37A transmission matches the gear ratios of GGSX? Now, my question is, will a GGSX transmission work in a VR4? According to VFAQ, the GGSX rear differential ratio is 2.846, whereas the GVR4 is 3.545. Does this transmission have to be paired with a GGSX rear end, or will it work in a VR4? I would guess that it will not work, given the front diff must be matched to that of a GGSX, not a VR4. Could the differential be swapped out to correct the gear ratio mismatch? Any thoughts on either? Thanks!

misterfixit

Neither will work in a GVR4. you could change the ring ratios and primary ratios to make a 2.846 GVR4 driveline, BUT.. the E37A and the N/T E38A & E39A models use a W5M31(KM221) frame trans and the Turbo E38A & E39A use a W5M33 (KM225) frame trans.

I say frame as the different versions are very similar but the W5M31 is a much weaker unit utilising amongst other things a much weaker centre diff. There are numerous other changes to the transmissions too.

If you were to swap a 2.846 ratio into a W5M33 you would have to swap the ring gears and the primary reduction set. I do not know if this is possible, but would suspect the differing construction of the centre diff would prevent this.

Back in the UK I have a full set of the 2.846 trans transfer and rear end off a GTI4WDS, I have would like to swap the final ratio in to the VR4 if possible to give it longer motorway legs, but have never had any more than intensions as a I could not justify a speculative tear down of both boxes. The ring and Pinion in the rear is definately interchangeable but you cannot mix final drive ratios front and rear as is said earlier.

The JDM KM221/225 manual is in the library at the top of the page as is the USDM trans manual. If you want to keep it and investigate a swap of the ratios you will need to tear it down and compare the critical dimensions of the primary reduction gears with a W5M33 box. if the gears are narrower in width, of or they force you to use the W5M31 centre diff then I would say the whole excercise would not end in success.

Mitsubishi changed their trans naming convention in 1988/1989 hence the two codes quoted for each box above.

Hope this helps,

Rich

GSTwithPSI

Rich, once again, thanks so much for the info. That answers my question completely. It's disappointing I can't use this transmission, but at least I can still use the transfer case as a spare.

So, who needs a JDM/GGSX trans?

GSTwithPSI

Rich, this question is aimed at you mainly, but anyone else please feel free to chime in.

I have a potential buyer looking to pick up the JDM transmission I have. He is concerned however, that the transmission I have is somehow inferior to the USDM GGSX transmission. The transmission I have seems to have come from a JDM 1.8 "Friendy" 4WD car, almost identical to the USDM GGSX we have here in the states. From the input I have received in this thread, and everything else I can find online, I am convinced that the transmissions between the USDM GGSX and JDM 1.8 "Friendy" 4WD car are mechanically the same. However, I can't say for certain, because I've never take either apart to see.

Can someone chime in here, and give their .02 on the matter? I basically just want to confirm the transmission I have is mechanically as good or better that what came in a USDM GGSX. And, if there are differences, what are they? Thanks guys.

fuel

Yours didn't have to come from a Friendy in particular (what a weird name for a model!) in fact it probably never came from a Friendy to begin with as the Friendy is facelift (post October 1989) only which means the transmission will carry the W5M31 transaxle code. Yours most likely came from an '87-early'89 GS-4 or MS-4 as it carries the early C11 code. Just refer to it as an E37A 4G37 transmission.

Another thing to take into account is the bellhousing may be smaller and could perhaps not accommodate the flywheel and clutch combo of the 4G63 DOHC engine as I know on the FWD counterparts the 2L has a larger clutch and flywheel than the 1.8 - but perhaps the 4WD 1.8 has a beefed up clutch and flywheel of the same size as the 2.0. I'll have to do some digging in ASA to check the clutch disc diameters. The splines should be the same however.

The ratios could perhaps be different too, you'll have to check that the gear ratios above match the same as the GGSX or are close to it. At worst you might have a 5th gear that is shorter on the 1.8.

fuel

just checked in ASA for E37A and also non-turbo E39A VX-4/MX-4 (as the E38A GGSX doesn't exist in JDM ASA).

The clutch disc is 215mm for both and while each have their individual part numbers they have both been superseded by MD771221. The clutch covers however have different part numbers so could suggest a different size.

misterfixit

You may find the transmission length is different.

I swapped an E32(4g37) box into my E35(4g67) eterna sava when the pump screwed up as thats all I could get a hold of at the time. It bolted up to the motor just fine. The thing that drove me crazy was the trans mount didn't line up at the chassis rail bracket.

When I pulled the box out of the car and stood both on their bellhousings there was an inch difference in height.

Apart from cursing I didn't spend much time on the short (4g37) box, apart from ripping out the valve block and the pump (I saved them for the parts shelf)

Now these were autos, but the blocks and the engine positions will be the same. I'd be interested to look at the length of the box. GGSX vs. VR4 vs. 4G37.

Rich

Last edited:

fuel

I would say that length would have come from the bellhousing perhaps, with the 4G37 having a smaller torque converter. From what I can tell with ASA is that the 4WD 1.8 uses the same larger clutch (and probably flywheel/clutch housing combo) as the 2.0, whereas the FWD 1.8 vs the 2.0 has the obvious size differences.

GSTwithPSI

So in your opinion, would you gentlemen agree it would be safe to say the USDM GGSX and JDM box I have are virtually the same, based on technical specifications available for both cars?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts