The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

JDM projector foglights

5OF2k

Hello all!

Im in a pickle, and done a bit of searching but cant find anything thusfar...

My JDM foglights work, but will blow fuses regualrly. I've been through the wiring for them countless times and found zero opens/shorts. Is there something Im missing here??

So, my questions are:

How are they supposed to work. Are they have a higher amperage circuit than the USDM units, are there extra relays, and what is different about the wiring?(in case Im missing something)

Which lighs are supposed to be on, and at what times? I noticed while playing around with them a bit that they would alternate between the projector and inside lense while I was flashing the brights, basically much like the headlights do when you flash your brights without the headlights being on, if that makes sense.

Any of you JDM/Euro/Aussie/etc fellas have a wiring diagram for the JDM circuit I could take a gander at??

It's just annoying, really. I have foglights that work, sometimes. Other than that theyre literally nothing but fancy weights. I just want them to work properly!

Thanks in advance!

-Jake

fuel

What wattage bulbs have you got in them? JDM projectors will have 55W bulbs in either pair (inner or outer) however I believe the earlier JDM non-projectors and the USDM models have 35W bulbs.

As for which pair go at which time - you are correct the outer pair (the actual projector ones) only work when the headlamps are dipped while the inner pair will only work when the brights are switched on. Neither pair should be going con-currently - unlike the main headlamps.

My question is have you specifically wired that up to work? Because my understanding is the USDM and early JDM models will only have one circuit going to the fog lamps (along with the circuit going to the turn signals in the bumper) while the JDM projector cars have both beam circuits going to the lamps.

I don't have a wiring diagram but I would assume there are relays in there somewhere - they are essentially draining the same amount of power as the headlamps and the headlamps definitely have a relay.

5OF2k

The bulbs that are in there are whatever it came with (already had the JDM foglights and front when i got it, but the fogs werent working). I did replace the projector bulbs with the same style, but yellow bulb later on.

As far as only one being on, that is interesting. My harness has either been modified to plug into these fog lights, or the foglights modified to fit the harness, because there is only a single plug for the left and right side, and inherintly BOTH the projector and other side stay lit at the same time, unless im flashing the high beams.....

Also, the knly blinkers i have are in the corner lenses of the fenders, and inhave NO running/marker lights on the front of the car, just headlights.

The crazy thing is its all wired very clean. Ive pulled back the sheathing a good 2feet on each side and only ever found one open, which i repaired when i first got them working again(might have a pic in my newbie thread, cant remember...).

Confirms what inwasthinking though; something is funky for sure... Any ideas?

-Jake

5OF2k

12492355.jpg

As you can see, that is low beams and fogs on. Thats also before i replaced the projector bulbs with the yellows and just after i replaced the only open i found and first got them working.

Since then, they always work as soon as i put a fuse in for a while, until the fuse blows, that is.

Also, as far as i can tell theyre wired into the factory foglight circuit. The car has the factory styled foglight relay and definite factory switch on the dash (that will light up regardless if the fog lights work or not) as well, if that helps.

-Jake

SouthCaliVR4

too many amps, you're cooking off the fuse. add a relay to the circuit or kick back to one light per side.

Last edited:

fuel

looks like you've wired both pairs to be on at the same time running off the one circuit which is meant to only supply power to one pair of foglamps.

You are essentially drawing 220W of power off a circuit which is meant to handle only 70W, or 110W at the very most.

Don't run both pairs of foglamps in parallel - there is a reason why each pair is separated at the plug. Run out outer pair (the projectors) off your existing fog lamp circuit and then run another circuit (with a relay) off your high beam feed to run the inner pair.

5OF2k

Excellent. Thanks gentlemen. Ill give it a shot this weekend!

You guys are the best!

-Jake

misterfixit

Yup, you have some wiring to do.

You need a normally open relay and a normally closed relay.

Quoting fuel:

I don't have a wiring diagram but I would assume there are relays in there somewhere - they are essentially draining the same amount of power as the headlamps and the headlamps definitely have a relay.

Fuel.. we do have the wiring diagram. It's here:
click

To the O/P, you may wish to book mark this..
click

Hope this helps,

Rich

5OF2k

Fixit, you. Are. The. MAN!

I'll be printing those first thing tomorrow. Thanks a MILLION!!

-Jake

misterfixit

No Worries /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5OF2k

Quoting misterfixit:

Quoting fuel:

click

click

Hope this helps,

Rich

Comparing the USDM and JDM wiring diagrams based on the circuits and unless Im reading the JDM one wrong, it doesnt have a headlight relay?

Am I "challenged", or is my Japanese rusty.....?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Jake

turbowop

If you want corner lights that do both blinkers and parking, find a set of single bulb JDM corners and modify a dual filament socket from another car so that you can use a dual filament bulb. Lower wattage filament for parking lights, and higher wattage filament for blinkers. That's what I did with 1051 and it works great with no speed blinker issues either.

5OF2k

Thanks for the tip, Wop. Appreciate it!

Couldnt I get away with wiring up the second bulb in my USDM corners to stay illuminated as intended? (I assume thats what theyre supposed to do, right?) They blink as they're supposed to on the back part of the corner lense, but nothing in the front, and being that I no longer have the factory bumper lights I figured Id be able to extend the wires and make it work up there.....?

I dont know really, Im completely spitballing until I actually get the bumper off and myself under the car this weekend to see what's left of the factory wiring. The previous owner did a fair amount of things very well.....but others have left me scratching my head, for sure.

-Jake

misterfixit

There are three relays.

A-18 is the main feed relay (this is the same as all export cars with fogs. The feed from that is the taken to both A-14 and A-15.
These respectively feed the high and low fogs.

As I mentioned earlier One is normally open and the other is normally closed.

Difference with the JDM setup is, these relays are hooked into the headlight circuit to actuate when high beam is hit.

hope this helps.

Rich

Quoting 5OF2k:
Quoting misterfixit:

Quoting fuel:

click

click

Hope this helps,

Rich

Comparing the USDM and JDM wiring diagrams based on the circuits and unless Im reading the JDM one wrong, it doesnt have a headlight relay?

Am I "challenged", or is my Japanese rusty.....?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Jake

5OF2k

Yea, i saw those. I didnt see a separate headlight specific relay whilst comparing the two diagrams. I dont have them in from of me at the moment(left them at work), but ill doublecheck tomorrow when i get back. I also noticed a diode inline on the JDM diagram. How would i find the specs for said diode? I assume its there because its necessary...

-Jake

misterfixit

Headlight relay is part of a seperate circuit, and is shown on the headlight circuit itself.

If you look on the link for the index post there are scans for that circuit up to (citylight specific)

Rich

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts