The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

JDM projector foglight hook up

Mr_Fielgood

So when bought 1736/2000 it had a JDM front bumper installed but the PO never had the fog lights hooked up.
The connectors don't match up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Can anyone help me figure out how to hook up the fog lights?

fuel

With the JDM facelift 'projector' fog lamps there are two independent beams much like the main headlamp housing so for interests sake let's call them the inner and outer beams respectively.

On the actual JDM VR-4 (or any other Galant that has these fogs) with the fog lamp switched on, the outer beams will turn on (and turn on the parker lamps at the same time) provided the main headlamps are on with the high beams activated - in this case the outer beams will turn off and the inner beams will turn on instead.

So in short, in order to wire it up to a USDM model I would chop off the plugs (or just pig tail into the wiring if you want to retain the plugs later on) and connect the USDM fog lamp feed to the outer beams, and then wire up an additional circuit switched via a relay from the high beam feed to the inner fogs. This is quite simple as you'll just need a fused power feed coming from the battery and then tap into one of the high beam power feeds for the trigger.

chop91vr4

Can anyone tell me what size of relays to get? & what the best way to rewire the fog switch to have constant power to turn on the fogs at any time like you stated? I just got a pair of these & got them to fit & now see that they can't just be wired in cause to much draw & found per your post (thanks) they way they work.

Last edited:

faqinshiet

I used a relay from autozone not sure of the size. Basically I used a relay that had 30 (to battery with fuse), 85 (to ground), 86 (to low beam or high beam +), and 87 (to + on fog light) terminals. Hope this helps. I also just googled how to wire fog lights with relay

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting chop91vr4:
Can anyone tell me what size of relays to get? & what the best way to rewire the fog switch to have constant power to turn on the fogs at any time like you stated? I just got a pair of these & got them to fit & now see that they can't just be wired in cause to much draw & found per your post (thanks) they way they work.

How many watts are the lamps? Divide by 12 volts to get needed amperage for the relay. You should be fine with most commercially available 4 pole relays.

chop91vr4

So here is my delema, (lol spelling) I want to have the outside beams (fogs) come on with the park lights like the factory JDM cars and switch off with the high beams come on & turn on the inside fogs. How can I get that I can take on power from the parks to turn on the outside fogs & power from the highs for the inside fogs but the way the car is wired now is that the fogs do not come on until the head lights are switched on so taking that in I can;t think of a way to get power to the outside fogs with the parks on & then no power to them when the high beams come on & at the sam time turn on the inside fogs just like the JDM cars.

AllanL

the jdm harness had two relays for these fogs. one was normally closed, one was normally open.
now there are relays with 5 pins[single pole, double throw], 30, 87a, 87, 85 and 86, which can serve the purpose the two stock jdm fog light relays.
one of the two 87 pins serves as the normally closed [NC] part, and the other as the normally open [NO].

here's the relay:

85 - ground
86 - supply from high beam
30 - supply from output of tail light relay
87a - to outer fog
87 - to inner fog

way it works:

once the park lights are swithced on, tail light relay supplies power to relay pin30, passes through to 87a [NC], powering outer fogs.
if high beam column lever is switched, pin86 is supplied power, energizing the coil side of the relay with pin 85 grounded.
energized coil acts a magnet, moving the switch NC --> NO position. in short, power gets transferred from 87a --> 87, from outer to inner.

as an added safety feature, add a 10A fuse between pin 30 and the output from the tail light relay.

if you still need the drawing, let me know.

**thanks to the owner of the relay image**

Last edited:

chop91vr4

Thanks a TON... Last question unless it doesn't work (i screwed something up) will this allow the fogs to power on whether or not the parks or heads are on? I read thats how the true JDM's were.

AllanL

the circuit i 'drew' will be dependent on the tail light relay. your fogs should turn on, once the park column switch is on'd.

on the jdm set up, the fogs power on with the fog switch, regardless of whether the park/headlights are switched or not; the fogs have their own power supply, actually.

does yours have the stock us version fog light and fog circuit?

if so, just change source of power to relay pin 30 to use the stock us version fog light relay output, instead of the tail light relay.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts