The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

JDM Headlights (wiring)

mistaVR4

I'm sure there is more than one way to do it.

img.php

this is looking through the front of the passenger side headlight.

JDM%20Headlights.gif

Let me know if you find some changes.

If you know the wireing for the h4 bulb, I can add that too.

I just made this from notes I had when I did this myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quote:
4 wire's fou!

although I'm sure there is more than one way to do it.

img.php

this is looking through the front of the passenger side headlight.

You sure you got JDM lights? The high beams in the center only have 2 wires while the outer high/low beams have 3. Or is there more then one kind of JDM lights?

Oh and if you use relays, you can leave the stock connectors in the car. Just tap the correct wire into the relay as show in the diagram.

mistaVR4

I've got JDM lights, however I know there are 3 different types. I've wired up 3 pairs in my buddies cars and all of them have worked fine just wiring the simple way like I have shown. I'm not very electronically inclined so I didn't really do any research, I just made sure I had power to power & ground to ground from the stock leads (using a multimeter of course). The way I have it shown will enable the high beams to light up while the low beams are still on (unlike stock). Is that how they work wired up like you have them shown? Also what is the benefit of having them wired up like you have them shown same as stock, different? Just curious.

EDIT: One other thing I noticed in your diagram is that you have an H4 and H3 bulb listed, I've never heard of any type of JDM headlight with an H3 bulb, as far as I know there are either dual H4's or an H4 and H1.

Last edited:

The way I have it shown will enable the high beams to light up while the low beams are still on (unlike stock).

Im not sure thats correct
If you just cut the stock lite plugs and connected the wires to the JDMs, then the high/low switching will still be the same since you're still using the stock relay setup.Unless Im missing something in the sketch
Also, I don't recall having a 3rd wire on the inner(high beam) side on mine.The 3rd wire on the outer(lowbeam) is for an extra high beam I believe.You can tap the pos inner high beam wire to trigger the outer 3rd wire.
Not sure if that made any sense.Please correct

Romanova

Make sure you use 10 gauge wire for everything. Solder all connections to ensure proper use... use some die-electric grease too. I'd say use a relay for each bulb, so four total. I would use 10 gauge wire for the ground, and while you could ground them to the battery, you can just ground them to the body.
This is how I am doing mine, but I said f*** the regular bulbs and went with 100w H1s, and 100/80W H4s... this combo will probably fry your stock harness beyond belief, but with relays and heavy duty wiring, you will have more than enough light when you are driving fast at night. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

FWIW, I got all my wire, gold connectors, relays, fuses, shrinkwrap, EVERYTHING... from Parts Express. All said and done it was like $50 or so.
I got my bulbs(I went with Hellas) from Rally Lights for like $35.
You could get some gay HID/Xenon look-a-likes off Ebay, but that would be gay. Regular lights with the relays is more than enough.

One of these days I'll get a writeup done... but this should put you in the ballpark.

All done. I went the simple way(no relays). But now my high beams aren't working. I reversed the wires and still nothing. The bulbs must be blown. I'll let u know tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Romanova

Remember, DO NOT TOUCH THE BULBS! Touch yourself all you want, just NOT THE BULBS. Wear gloves if you must touch them... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

mistaVR4

Were they working before? You can tell if there blown just by looking at the inside of the light, the lighting element will be loose (shaking around).

Cruce: If the lights are wired like I have in my diagram both lights will be illuminated when the highbeams are on. I'm not sure why? Butmy guess would be because it's an H4 type bulb vs a 900x like stock, here's mine:

Justin: you use these new relays so you can run the higher wattage bulbs right? (like Tyler has explained) If not, why are they necessary? I thought about that to but since I run the same wattage H4/H1 setup as stock, the relays that already exist in the stock wiring do the trick just fine.

VR4GALANT42: you say ask so I will /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif What have you done to your car?
drivingkid.gif
devil.gif

Mista,

How could using different type bulbs change the stock sequence of relays?

Something was altered to keep both lites on is my guess
Not trying to bust balls, just curious how you got there

Cruce

Romanova

I believe there is only one relay stock. That is no good for highwattage bulbs.

mistaVR4

Quote:
Mista,

How could using different type bulbs change the stock sequence of relays?

Something was altered to keep both lites on is my guess
Not trying to bust balls, just curious how you got there

Cruce

It must have something to do with the 3 prongs on the H4 bulb. So if I were to hook the red with blue stripe to the top prong instead of the side prong it might act like stock? I never tried that because I liked the way it is, I suppose I could try it the other way just to see what happens. Another possibility is the H1 light, the rubber cover that plugs into the H1 light has 2 prongs but the light itself only has 1, I'm thinking there might be a power or even more likely a ground return through the stock bulb which has 2 prongs that triggers a relay to shut off the lowbeam headlight when you put highbeams on, (does any of that make sense?) It seems strange to me as well but those are the only possibility's I can think of. If you wire your JDM headlights the way I have shown them both will light up. Give it a try and let me know what happens, it would be interesting to see if it works in you car also.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts