The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

JDM Galant VR4 Chime

TheWolf

I have a 1987 JDM Galant VR4 RHD. When I get to 65mph it chimes until the speed decreases below 65mph. Someone must know how to easily disable this. Driving under 65mph is certainly not a viable option...lol

kumfasa

I too have a JDM VR4 and I am pretty sure that no VR4 ever came with a speed warning chime from the factory.
Whatever it is making the noise at 65mph it is likely to be aftermarket. If you start poking around under the dash you should be able to track down the non-factory looking wires.

Good Luck.

G

Staff member
Yeah it did come with that, mazdas did as well. I believe you have to remove the cluster and unplug the chime.

brisvr4

There is a screw on the back of the cluster with a wire that you need to remove.
The pic in JDM Chime this link will work if you click it!

bobdole

Really? Guess I need to go over 65mph see if mine has.

fuel

Only the early model VR-4s have it, I think it was around 1988 when the law in Japan requiring a 105km/h chime was abolished.

You can hear the chime in this cheesy 1987 promo video - click

misterfixit

if you take off the climate control surround, the chime is just behind the grille part on the lower right of the frame. The grille is present on both twiddly dial and pushbutton types.

Its a 2 pin flat blade yazaki connector (white). The chime screws into the dash carcass from the heater box side but you should be able to just pull the connector.

Kind regards,

Rich

P.S. Mine is still hooked up, but I have a switch inline for 'jdmness' so I can turn it on and off.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
"I have a switch inline for 'jdmness' "

Oh, I need to sell these on ebay! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Think of the suckers...

misterfixit

It's a headlight height adjuster switch. So It's possible to turn it on.. and off when it becomes annoying.
Truth be told it's mostly off.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts