The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ISC Failed

Dan D

My idle started dropping under load and wouldn't maintain the 900rpm set in the eprom. Logger shows 120 trying to bring it up. I fiddled with the BISS to get the rpms up over 900 and the ISC counts went down to zero with no effect on the actual idle speed. The ISC is about two years old, purchased from DSMISC.

Next, I ohmed out the coils they check out at 40 ohms which is right on the money for the newer version ISC.
I pulled the ISC and hooked up a power supply. It draws current, but nothing moves.
I pulled it apart and the pintle freely spins. I tried winding it up and then putting it back together and applying power to the other coil to see if it would turn the other way - no dice.

Anyone had similar short lifespan on these newer version ISCs? If the coils are good and it draws the appropriate amount of current when excited, why wouldn't it turn? Does the rotor become demagnetized?

I have a very strong magnetizer here at work. Maybe I'll put the rotor on it and see if it comes back to life. I just have to figure out which pole is which.

Brunoboy

did you ground out before adjusting the biss?

Dan D

No. I wasn't setting my base idle speed just jacking up the idle so the ISC control loop would overshoot and begin to compensate the other direction.

dmj

I have the same with problem with the newer style ISC lasted less than 18 months coils checked ok but wont compensate for ac load. going back to old style rebuilt.

Adorsey

click
You live in TX. IMO I would toss the nonsence out and pop this in.

Brunoboy

What you want is a ISC/FIAV complete blockoff. idle will be low on cold start, but its liveable, I have one installed now after my isc fried my ecu, the one above is shown as "FIAV Blockoff" you want an ISC/FIAV Blockoff.
-Shane

Last edited:

turboaddict

the one above is both the fiav has a hole in it that is squared off, the hole in this is for the center bolt:)

Dan D

My FIAV has been blocked for years. I want my ISC because it makes the car much nicer to drive in traffic and it saves on the footwork needed to keep it from stalling. I had no ISC for a long time and it sucked having to balance between lights being on, fans being on, etc vs having a livable idle speed plus during the winter its 30-40 degrees in the morning and 60-80 in the afternoon. The idle just doesn't handle 40 degree temperature swings without the ISC very well.

I ordered a new one, I just hope it doesn't crap out as fast as the previous one did.

Dan D

I ordered a new ISC. Everything works well now. I got one from Amazon.com from $80. It ended up being the same OE part as the one from DSMISC.com. Tripple Diamond marking and everything. Hopefully this one lasts a little longer

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts