The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Is this the best place put to put jack stands when using all four.

Vr4junkie

Is this the best place to have a car lifted up on all four jacks thought I ask since this is the first time ever having a car on all four last thing I want is this falling on me since im going to be under there.

James

How many years till it comes off the stands?

Vr4junkie

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I Want to say no more than 2 mouths.

mitsuturbo

I wouldn't put them there. Often you'll see these cars with dents all over underneath because people put jackstands in the wrong places.

I generally put the fronts under the back of the control arm. There's a nice round thing there that sits nicely in the jackstands. I haven't bent, dinged, or torqued one out of round yet. Sometimes i also put them under the front crossmember, next to the bolts on each outer side. As for the rear, i do something similar to the front and put it where the trailing arms are bolted in to the frame. Again, no issues with anything getting messed up there. Pinch welds and frame box are never a good idea on these cars for jacks/stands.

LIV4PSI

Where to you put them if you have to drop a subframe?

Barnes

I've put jackstands in those spots for years. No problems so far. I just make sure to put it where there are two layers of metal. And inboard of the broad spot that is *always* dented in.

Vr4junkie

Alright I am dropping both sub frames so guess I'm good then thought I ask since this is the first time ever doing this.

Wizardawd

The technically correct place is the pinchwelds at the corners. You might even see the notches the factory puts in to help you locate them. However, most of our cars have serious rust issues in the rear dogleg/pinchweld area and may not be the best place. But, I just simply moved the jackstand further inboard along the pinchweld. The beams you have it supported currently are not a good spot and are there for floor pan support. Constantly seen those beams dented and once they go through the beam, they go through the floor board.

Wiz

Barnes

I think the thing with those beams, is there is a point where several layers of body panels come together. If you were to put the jackstand on those beams closer to the middle, they dent. However I put them towards the very front and rear where you can see a second layer of body panel over laps. Perhaps that combined with the fact I use padded wood blocks has kept my cars dent free this entire time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Vr4junkie

ill take a look and see were those notches are I see were theres a whole by the rear dog legs is that were your talking about.

prove_it

It doesn't hurt to use a block of wood either. That way the stress gets distributed more and the wood will crush first.

Wizardawd

I was gonna say I love the control arm bushing spot myself because of how securely it fits into a stand, but since you are removing the subframes, not the ideal choice...

Here is a previous thread, with a great picture showing the pinchweld spots:

click

Wiz

Vr4junkie

This is were your taking about right.

Scase90

My jack stands are in the same place as yours and its been sitting for over a year and its just fine

G

Staff member
Only if you are using the factory jack. Also the pinch welds are to only temporarily lift the vehicle to change a tire. Not support the entire vehicle, especially with the type of jackstand he pictured. Those chinese jack stands are scary.

Quoting Wizardawd:
The technically correct place is the pinchwelds at the corners. You might even see the notches the factory puts in to help you locate them. However, most of our cars have serious rust issues in the rear dogleg/pinchweld area and may not be the best place. But, I just simply moved the jackstand further inboard along the pinchweld. The beams you have it supported currently are not a good spot and are there for floor pan support. Constantly seen those beams dented and once they go through the beam, they go through the floor board.

Wiz

AWDPower

I've used the factory jack points for jack stands on every unibody car I've worked on for over 20 years. They are a solid, stable place to rest the car. It also keeps the jack stands away from your work area. I believe I hold the official JSB record, my car spent has spent more time on those pinch welds than it had on tires. The exception would be rusty cars. I live in CA, I've only seen pictures of rusty cars, but I'm told they do exist.

G

Staff member
There's always someone doing it wrong.

G

Staff member
^ See what I mean ^. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Wizardawd

This is why you don't lift on that beam. There is nothing there. Look how thin it is. Even at the ends, it was never meant to be a support for lifting or support.

click

And even the service manual shows lifting at the front cross member and rear diff. And supporting the vehicle at the pinchwelds.

click

Wiz

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts