The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Is this still a concern?

Caution: Crankshaft pulley disintegrates at high rpm's? Was looking deep in General discussion and found this. Yay/nay? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Barnes

Where did that come from? As far as I know stock crank pulleys in GOOD condition are fine for high RPM use. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Barnes

That pretty much universally happens because the pulley is old.

gvr4ever

If you want to be sure, replace with timing belt. Or at least look for dry cracked rubber. It's a two piece dampener pulley.

gramkrakr89

There are also horror stories out there about running an aftermarket billet pulley - just get another stock replacement pulley/damper if yours shows any uncomfortable signs of age.

Barnes

Quoting gvr4ever:
If you want to be sure, replace with timing belt. Or at least look for dry cracked rubber. It's a two piece dampener pulley.

Uh? What does the t-belt have to do with the crank pulley falling apart?

ktmrider

^^ He means WHEN you replace the TB swap it ( for comfort ).

Like mention these fail due to age/condition, in fact most every two-piece rubber pulley will separate after awhile.

gvr4ever

^^^ Yes. If you replace the pully with your timing belt (aprox 60K miles), then they should never fail. If you race hard core, I've heard of some people replacing everything every 35K miles?!?!?

Barnes

Derp, I can read. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

So it should be fed into the TB replacement interval as well?

I did find this.. click

Last edited by a moderator:

gvr4ever

Quoting GVRBound:
So it should be fed into the TB replacement interval as well?

I did find this.. click

Generally the water pump and probably that pulley are only due every 120K miles and the t-belt every 60K miles, but if your car is far from stock or driven hard, then it isn't a dumb ideal to just do it all every 60K miles.

birdman24

Quoting raptorreed:
What's the general consensus on the Fluidampr Crank pulleys?

+1 I'm also wondering about this.

Terence

4thStroke

The ATI damper and Fluidamper are nice pieces. They are worth the money (the Fluidamper more so than the ATI damper) if you have the cash to spend for a highly modified motor, otherwise, the stock pulley is sufficient.

Last edited:

slugsgomoo

I'd say that depends on your goals, the fluidampr probably isn't better at very high RPM due to the way the fluid dampening behaves, but it's what, half the cost? If I were building something crazy I'd go with the ATI based on all the research I've done, but frankly there've been a ton of stock damper 1000hp cars (well relatively speaking) so I'm not that worried for as weenie as my goals are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

4thStroke

There have also been a lot of lower horsepower cars that have thrown apart new stock dampers in a short period of time.

It's hit or miss, try out the stock unit, if it doesn't hold up, buy the Fluidamper. I'll bet the stock piece works just fine.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts