The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Is this a real TRE Transmission?

pot

Staff member
I picked a 1g transmission this morning for a very reasonable price from a very reasonable fellah. I was informed by the seller that it was a TRE transmission however he acknowledged he had no idea nor any receipts. I'm not certain if this is genuine myself. I called TRE but know one picked up the telephone. Not wanting to bother them since I'm not a customer, I performed a searched online but what I've read so far has been inconclusive.

On the bell housing where the VIN number sticker normally resides is: "TRE S3 Welded Diff" in blue paint marker"

When I removed the end cover, the viscous coupler was gone (as it should be due to the supposed welded diff, right?) and the following inscription on the intermediate gear: "TRE 704 H15P"

If anyone has an idea please let me know what you think. I appreciate any guidance on this matter.

Mark

Jons a good guy gets busy doesn't really pick up the phone.. Keep trying... send him an email w/the pictures.

HOURS: 10am-6pm EST Tuesday - Friday. Closed Saturday-Monday.

PHONE: 269.382.2669 closed on MONDAY. I will try my best to respond daily.

EMAIL: [email protected] Make sure to provide your phone number as I will call you back because your questions can be best answered that way.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The three I have seen all had serial numbers stamped on the outside of the bell housing. I suspect that perhaps TRE-sourced parts may be involved ,but perhaps not the whole assembly.

cheekychimp

Yes, I would echo that.

I don't think that the housing is stamped unless Jon has built (or is prepared to vouch for) the entire transmission. I don't mean that to play down the transmission that you have picked up at all (it looks really good), I'm just concurring with what iceman is suggesting i.e. that it is possible the previous customer only requested the repair/replacement of some of the components and not a complete build.

prove_it

Or possibly ordered parts and did themselves and just wrote down what it was.

pot

Staff member
Thanks gents for the swift responses. What everyone is saying makes complete sense. I will contact Jon as well to see if he con provide further clarity. Thanks again to everyone.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned