The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Introducing: Johnny #5

5OF2k

Hello boys and girls.

I figured id take this time to introduce you to my new toy. It's a 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4, #5/2000. This one has a couple goodies. The car is origionally from California, produced July 1990, and shipped to LA in Oct of the same year. I'm the 5th owner of the car, the second of which performed the majority of the modifications. 9second racing owned the vehicle, the owner of 9second racing actually(John somethingorother?).

This isn't my first 4G63 car, nor am I a stranger to the maint/upkeep theyre prone to requiring. I'm also a former mechanic, ASE certified, have fabbing abilities/skills/etc. Long story short, not my first rodeo. Just figured since Im a newb to the site, this would be as good a place as any to introduce myself!

So, to my knowledge, the mods list is as follows:

Rebuilt(not sure how or with what)Bottom end and head
BC 272 cams, valve springs, retainers, and keepers
Evoiii o2 and exh mani
B16g turbo(true MHI)
evo 560cc injectors
SMIM(unknown brand)
Aeromotive FPR
Hallman MBC @22psi
AEM EMS V1
Gm 5.2 map
GM IAT
FMIC and short route piping, 2.0-2.5" hot/cold
Full 3" catted exh w/flowmaster muffler
ARP headstuds
MLS headgasket
ACT 2100 clutch and racelite flywheel
Redline shockproof throughout

Unknown 17x8-9? Wheels
Cross drilled/slotted rotors
Hawk pads
Abs delete
Braided brake lines
AGX adjustables
GC coil overs

JDM evolution RS front bumper with working fogs...

And thats about all i can remember/have found so far...

I am having Jack from Jack's transmissions build me a Trans at the moment. Its their 1.2 build with the GSX first, EVO 5th, jack's spec dual syncros in second and welded center diff. Pretty excited about that, esp being as the 2nd and 3rd synchros are worn... I also plan on a bigger bolt on turbo, to the tune of FPgreen/red, or a 60 trim (a friend of mine does have a Garrett t67 HO in need of a rebuild Im trying to get him to pitch my way)....something like that. The FIC 980's and a whole bunch of other goodies I got with the car are plenty capable of supporting just about any DDable setup. Which, is what i plan on doing with it. No, im not crazy. Im Jake. I dont plan on keeping it as my DD for too long, hence the list of bigger turbos and plans, but it will be driven fairly often, and enjoyed all the same.

Enough talk, heres Johnny:

4983f100.jpg

49b0b29b.jpg

7727873b.jpg

dea7b681.jpg

ede42506.jpg

2c39eb25.jpg

c05a9b0e.jpg

2c9ffe2e.jpg

313a37c3.jpg

843a7df9.jpg

Thusfar maintenance-wise, I've replaced a leaky/bad radiator cap, P.stg pump, and Alternator (they tend to not like being leaked on.....go figgur!). It's also in need of an input shaft seal for the rear diff, which I plan to tackle whilst Im replacing the trans in the next couple weeks. I've also corner balanced the car as of last weekend as well. Makes a major difference!

There you have it! Not too shabby for $3.5k, right!? Comment on!

-Jake

Last edited:

GVR47111K

Welcome! and congratulations on a very clean example of gvr4, imo. Looks like the car is in good hands and I'm super jealous of what you got considering what you paid.

Okayplayer

That's a nice setup you have there, especially for the price. It's also pretty cool have a single digit car. Keep it nice buddy! welcome to the forum

5OF2k

Thanks fellas, I definitely am very pleased with it thusfar. Pics dont do it justice either. Everyone that's seen and been inside the car has a very hard time believing it's almost 22yrs old because its so clean.

I also plan on keeping it as clean as possible. It's my baby, for sure.

5OF2k

quick question, where/how do I go about getting one of the gvr4.org stickers with my #?

GVR47111K

This thread , you just missed out on it. BrandonEchols is the guy who organized it and that is his username. Or I think turbophein and Galantvr4559 can mock them up for you, don't take my word for it though. PM's are great, ask around /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif click

jnava

Staff member
Welcome....

5OF2k

Thanks a bunch!

Mr. 711!! I do believe you bought that car LITERALLY a few hourse before I had a chance to come pick it up. I think it was 711 anyway....lol. I had been looking for a good, clean example for quite some time before I actually wound up getting this one.

again, thanks for the info!

-Jake

fuel

That's not an Evolution RS bumper.. it is missing the extra vents down the bottom. You have just the regular JDM VR-4 bumper.

LIV4PSI

That's a very clean car, especially for the price. It seems well sorted out as well.

RedTwo

We need you to blow up the motor and then rebuild it just so we can all say "Number 5 is Alive!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GVR47111K

Quoting 5OF2k:
Thanks a bunch!

Mr. 711!! I do believe you bought that car LITERALLY a few hourse before I had a chance to come pick it up. I think it was 711 anyway....lol. I had been looking for a good, clean example for quite some time before I actually wound up getting this one.

again, thanks for the info!

-Jake

The po said he had someone else looking at it but that wasn't until the next day. It was night time when I bought it so I was skeptical but I dove in head first anyways and look at me now...no slave and no boost! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Wanna trade?

GSX_TC

Quoting RedTwo:
We need you to blow up the motor and then rebuild it just so we can all say "Number 5 is Alive!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lol

5OF2k

Thx for the heads up on the bumper, I didnt realize there was a difference until i googled pics and saw what you were talking about!

I dont plan on blowing it up, nor do i think it's anywhere near that stage of its life. It consistenly pulls upwards of 20" vac on decel, no smoke, no oil leaks, etc etc etc. Basically, motor is super healthy, and most definitely been rebuilt or replaced at some point.

So, last night after visiting my parents, I walk out to a massive puddle of coolant under the car. Turns out, the radiator that was in the car (not the origional, a newer aftermarket unit) and the hot side charge pipe were in contact, and after a while, it wore a hole in the bottom tank. Being as I have a TON of friends who drive Hondas, I made some calls to a few of them in search of a Bseries/vtec half-sized radiator. Few moments later, I was at a friends house picking up a 3core Fluidyne style radiator.

Couple short hours later, it's in, functioning better than the stock unit (even during/after "spirited" driving) and it saved me a TON of space.

I still have to fab up some permanent brackets for it, which im planning to do this weekend when Im not working and have achance to go to the shop. Im planning on picking up some shetmetal to use fot the brackets. It's kind of hard to explain how I have it pictured in my head, so you'll just have to stay tuned until I get them finished and snap some pics. Also bee toying with the idea of making the brackets into a shroud as well. We'll see how it strikes me come go-time...

Also, the wheels that are on it in the pics are sold as of friday, and the stockers are going back on it after I hit them with some elbow grease and slight re-conditioning. I like the look of the wheels on the car currently as far as overall size go, just too many spokes for my tastes. Not certain what I'll be replacing them with yet, but Im ok with that.

Again, thanks for the comments!

5OF2k

Been a WHILE since ive updated, done quite a little bit in that time too:

Corner balanced the car
79b42e54.jpg

Installed a 3 core fluidyne style Civic 1/2 radiator, custom bracket and lower tab to position it properly to promote clearance for future upgrades
a60fa3be.jpg

Got some stickers
59c2b76a.jpg

636e1e08.jpg

Ordered one of these too
6cfac5b3.jpg

Fixed my fogs
12492355.jpg

Detailed a bit
c1d7ab85.jpg

Got rid of the 17s and threw the stockers on.

Before deep clean:
3c7e9461.jpg

After:
c71dd320.jpg

1890bb44.jpg

Aaaaand i bought the May TopGear pack for Forza. So, i did this too lol:
9e9b1846.jpg

Anywho, thats what ive been up to lately!

-Jake

se7enine

That is a clean Galant. I was finally able to buy my Galant VR4 on GT5 last night, that's a hard one to come across in the Used Car Dealership.

5OF2k

thanks, sir! I noticed that as well. It's almost rediculous! Then again, I guess thats also fairly accurate/realistic when dealing with these cars, isnt it?

Sweet car man/ im also CRN as the_juice. We'll have to get the cars together as soon as I get mine up and going again.

5OF2k

Oh nice! Anthony, right? I think i got your number and whatnot talking about a cruise a while back or something like that. How is it going with that, by the way?

5OF2k

Got some new goodies for Johnny.... Pretty ecited!

Garrett T67 turbo with .82 hot side
fa52773e.jpg

OBX ramhorn and Tial 38mm gate
2f7c2b3b.jpg

Prothane mount inserts
f5ee4cbb.jpg

Have a full vband 3" downpipe and a smaller .63 hot side for the turbo as well. Need to fab up a more efficient intercooler setup and get the oil lines for it, then it's off to the dyno to have the AEM tweaked a bit for the new setup. Should make some pretty decent power wjen its all said and done(when are they ever DONE though, really?).

Cant wait!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts