The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Intercooler piping

carlzedbnz

Hi All
I'm going to be running a FP black on my engine and have bought a ETS gvr4 cooler for it, just wondering if being a down firing turbo the piping is going to line up with the where it enters the Intercooler ? Any body got the same set up pics much appreciated, standard radiator also.
Thanks in advance.

strokin4dr

The ETS kit came with a stock configuration piping setup as default. Did you buy a used kit? Do you have any pics of the piping?

ghostinthevr4

A down firing turbo will not work with an ETS FMIC designated for a VR-4. Especially if you have radiator in stock location. You could probably make a down firing turbo work but you would literally have to cut a ton of sh*t out of your car.

strokin4dr

That's what I did with my 35r. I wanted to see what he has before throwing out ideas though.

ghostinthevr4

You made your 35r down facing with a E.T.S. FMIC for a VR-4? How did you get it to clear the front engine mount?

You probably had to make all new intercooler piping too, do your pipes run underneath the frame, how did you get them to clear the radiator fan?

Strokin4dr is right it's best to see some pics, VR-4 are tight in the front area it's not a DSM.

You can make it work but it's gonna take some fabricating.

I could be wrong it's been a while since I been under the hood of my galant.

Last edited:

strokin4dr

Re-clocked

ghostinthevr4

When you reclocked the turbo the compressor out let wasn't running directly into your motor mount?

I could've sworn I tried that and my mount was in the way, I do have a custom tubular manifold so that could be another reason why it didn't work.

thomcasey

Wouldn't you clock it upwards? This would put the inlet at roughly the same spot as the stock j-pipe. There should be no mounts in the way up high.

thomcasey

^^ Agreed. That is the luxury of a turbo with no internal wastegate. Re-clock the housing to suit your needs!!!

strokin4dr

+2

I re-clocked it with the outlet facing up. Still running stock configuration intercooler piping.

ghostinthevr4

Oops I'm sorry guys I misinterpreted his op I thought he wanted it down firing, I didn't realize he wanted the compressor outlet facing upwards until I reread everyone's post.

Just re clock the turbo and you'll be golden.

holeshotmoe

If the black is same size as green, you could use a 135 deg coupler and a section of pipe to get it in the vicinity. I think I used a 90 flush against a 45 at the other end to slide right onto the ETS IC input pipe. Also made a small heat shield where it passes near the exhaust. I removed the long vertical plate that rest against the DS radiator, and the only cut I made was to notch out the stock radiator frame right where the inside of the 90 deg coupler sits. Wish I knew a way to clock and remount the WG arm so I could go over the top to reduce the combined turns a little bit.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts