The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Intercooler Fabbing

littleb

I'm not really sure where this should go so sorry if this isn't the right spot.

But anyway, I was thinking about buying an intercooler core, some end tanks, and some piping and making my own intercooler kit. I know I probably won't save much money by doing this but I figured it doesn't seem all that challenging and I really enjoy making stuff. But can anyone point me in the direction of some intercooler basics like which type of core is better, what size pipe should you use, what type of pipe you should use.. etc? Any info would be better than what I have right now

Last edited:

boostedinaz

Can you TIG weld aluminum? If not then you can't put the end tanks on the core. As for piping size and material that depends on your setup but most likely 2.5 pipe will be fine. The material is up to you. As mentioed aluminum might be out if you can't TIG it. Stainless is nice but should also be TIGed and purged.

rdomeck

If you can't tig weld, now would be a good time to learn. Some of your local welding shops will rent out welders per month! Aluminum isn't that hard to tig weld...Stainless is easier, but is heavier and cost a little more. I run a fabrication business and I just herd a guy that I taught to tig weld in about 3 15 minute sessions. He's not real good at it yet, but it's not really that hard if you pay attention to the details. Stainless would be a little more forgiving for your first time. You could also do mild steel and mig weld it them have it powder coated. Good luck

RedTwo

If you get an intercooler (core and end tanks attached) you could probably get away without needing to do any welding. You'd make good use of silicone joiners though.

littleb

You think stainless is easier to TIG than aluminum?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif But yes, I know how to TIG weld well. I'm not worried about the actual fabrication of the piping and intercooler, I just don't have a clue as to what goes into the theory behind what type of piping to use and things like that.

broxma

Fewest bends possible, 2.5 inch is pretty much the norm. I would however offer an alternate suggestion.

Buying a blank core, a decent one anyway, is generally expensive. You can buy universal fit cores with tanks welded on already relatively cheap these days if you know who to get them from. What I mean by this is a good core, good fin density, turbulators on the internal channels, thick top and bottom plates. You won't find these on ebay necessarily, but I know a few places.

At this point, basically, all you need is pipes and time. Steve (524of1000) built a really nice FMIC setup using a Treadstone TR-10 core he bought from me and his old Ebay pipe kit. We had a few of the pipes welded up at BIC to cut down on the number of couplers. That being said, his setup cost him probably half of what he could sell it for now.

/brox

littleb

What places are there to get them from? And also what are your thoughts on aluminum or steel for the piping?

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting littleb:
You think stainless is easier to TIG than aluminum?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif But yes, I know how to TIG weld well. I'm not worried about the actual fabrication of the piping and intercooler, I just don't have a clue as to what goes into the theory behind what type of piping to use and things like that.

You don't? Aluminum is lighter, and won't resist engine bay heat as well. Also, isn't as durable in terms of rubbing on other things in your engine bay and can crush much easier from standard hose clamps even. Stainless is heavier, more durable, but much more expensive. Pick your battle.

rdomeck

I think they are both really easy. You don't need to dump as much heat into stainless than you do with aluminum...You wouldn't need that big of machine and it could just be a DC machine! Just my 2 cents worth!

littleb

I think aluminium is the easiest thing to weld but that's just me. What wall thickness would be good to use for the aluminium/stainless?

524of1000

You'd be suprised how thick and durable the Ebay pipe kits are. I do not recommend their cores at all, but the pipes are truly nice. Here are some pics of my set up. ebay pipes, treadstone core:
From the engine bay:

Before welding from the front:

After welding, before paint...

Behind the bumper, before modding the bumper and moving the plates:

Vr4junkie

That engine bay looks sick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif what color is that on the valve covers and intake mainfold ?? I think it would look nice with some gun metal Black allen bolts for the valve cover

rdomeck

For the aluminum to be durable and not crack I would want to go with something around .093 or even .120 Stainless you could get by with .058 or even .042! Check out www.mandrel-bends.com I recently purchased a bunch of bends and collectors from them and they were really nice and priced very well. I did have to wait on a few things, but they had my order shipped out within a couple of days!

fastfalcon94

I have a tig welder but can't weld yet. Fortunately my roommate can. I just redid my piping. The cxracing.com piping is what I use. I have it in my 3000gt too and my roommate used it in his Evo. It's actually 2mm thick which is pretty good. It welds easy too.

I used 90 degree couplers on each side of my front mount to route it the shortest route possible, and to free up the space where my foglights will eventually go. I had to grind away some of the body metal in the opening similar to what a lot of the 2g dsm people do. I painted everything dupli color caliper black afterwards. The pipe comes up between my civic radiator and the side of the frame.

Every pipe is an L shaped pipe. Same with my 3000gt vr4.

12.jpg

11.jpg

Last edited:

You can see my setup in my build thread (1517 build thread (sort of)) in the general discussion section. It is a mess of couplers right now, as i still to get my buddy to weld it all up, but it is all an aluminum ebay pipe kit.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned