The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Intake Manifold Shootout

14bCrazy

This test to me shows that the stock intake is fine for most people like Mark said. I would say that for the extra HP that the others will give you might not be worth the extra money. In a race car yes but for the street I would have to say No. I like mid range power on the street and I looks like you would lose some with the aftermarket intakes. Thanks for doing this.

RayH

Nice test but I was really looking forward to the Cyclone results...

sorry we didn't have time to make the gaskets/assembly it.
frown.gif
Sort of a last minute miscommunication. We were there 8 hours just with the ones we had.

After getting home and d/ling the dyno run viewer and doing some comparisons, I still think the Venom looks like the hands down winner. It doesn't drop in power any earlier than the Magnus or the BJ and it makes quite a bit more power everywhere else in the rev band. I know we're looking at airflow curves and trying to guess what will happen higher up, but I don't think the venom curve is peaking earlier, its simply better...

Look at the blue line in relation to the red line for each graph.

Mark

Why is it that the stock manifold seems to outflow aftermarket ones in the midrange?

Is the stock manifold actually the best POSSIBLE manifold available for midrange power? Well, at least out of all tested?

OEM manifolds usually provide better midrange performance.

That is, after all, where the car will spend most of it's life.

So, that is typically what car makers focus on.

Hal

curtis

quote:Originally posted by 92GVR4#333:
you guys did a extreamly thourgh job on data coralation and alowing us to determin what suits our individual needs. WAY TO GO...
grin.gif
I agree nice job. Maybe me and Pete will build one for testing like we talked about if I ever get the welder wiresd and find a few extra days. Pete keep your mouth shut about design consideration
grin.gif

can we assume a stock manifold with the Extrude Hone process will yield even better midrange potential?

not a word from me --I do have quite a bit of Carbon fiber cloth to play with as well. I still really want to do that mani.

quote:Originally posted by Larry Parker:
Short runners are no good! Lets see a long runner mani with the proper plenum and airhorns raised off the floor...!!
idea.gif
This was my first thought, what part does the construction (partacularly the inlet to the runners) play in the results you got.
I've never seen any pictures of the insides of any of these manifolds except the FRH one, which is a little like the stocker in that the entries are rounded, but still IMO not a great design.

Larry Parker

Short runners are no good! Lets see a long runner mani with the proper plenum and airhorns raised off the floor...!!
idea.gif

Another quick Q.

Aproximately what power output was this car making.
You say it was detuned a bit for the testing, but the setup it has is capible of making some pretty serious power.
I feel power output (max airflow) would have quite an effect on how each manifold performed, particularly with relation to RPM. ie cross over points could move up/down the rpm range quite a bit depending on airflow (=horsepower)

Chris, Dave was only pushing 400WHP that day? Still a lot I know but he was pushing the same numbers with the FPRED you would think they would be a little higher with the FP3065.

This was untuned at less boost Keith. But I'm not happy with the 3065 at this altitude. It's never going to make 600+ up here. Period.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts