The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Intake Manifold Shootout

I may be testing one for jonvr4..
wink.gif

I have to talk to Dave tonight and I'll check on teh cyclone status. I *thought* we had one already but i'm not sure.

autobahntom

Money sent also. I have a cyclone (NON-RS one) that could be used. Although 'in transit time' would cut it close.
Thanks in advance for the long day ahead. Make sure to have several pair of Mechanix gloves; that will help with not getting burns.
Tom

Thanks for all the contributions. Any out of state manifolds would cut it close but I think we're set anyway.

And my fiancee has me set on gloves to protect the old hands
smile.gif

autobahntom

Not to take this off topic too far, but if you don't have a set of GearWrench brand gear wrenches, you SHOULD get one. Get the reversable offset ones. I have a set of GearWrench brand, and two sets of BluePoint (Snap-On) and the GearWrench ones are not as bulky and fit into smaller areas. They making changing an intake sooooo easy. Can reach all the bolts no problem also. It does help that my a/c is off (I would recommend that for the day-just remove the compressor) . It took about five minutes to take the stock 1g intake manifold off (which did not go back on-a Magnus took it's place).
Tom

Yes that's an excellent point. I have the gear wrenches for the underside bolts. They are a life saver! I did it the first time without and I never want to be without them again. The car being tested already has a aftermarket manifold on it so "most" of the normal prep work is done (coil, power transistor, rail, wiring, etc).

I sent a small donation last night, thanks again.
quote:Originally posted by blacksheep:
I hope the Forrester wins
grin.gif
LOL, Go Magnus!

autobahntom

No ratcheting wrenches are from years ago, very big and cumbersome to work with. The GearWrench's are about the size of a regular wrench. Sears sells them, you can probably find a pic of them on their website.
These wrenches are really a Godsend for intake manifolds and two of the center bolts on the exhaust manifold (on our cars).
Tom

If I remember correctly, the GearWrench 8-wrench set is on sale this week for $40 or so--that's a steal!
shocked.gif
(Reg. price is only $50, which isn't bad either)

My only two gripes about them is the lip that keeps the bolt head or nut from passing through can either be a blessing or a curse (usually the latter), and the smaller sizes tend to "lock up" under relatively low torque loads--easily fixed by tapping the wrench against a hard surface, but annoying.

In fact, that brings up a tip for those that own them: make sure you use the open end to "crack" the bolt/nut loose first.

I'm going to assume you don't need my Cyclone unless you call me, Chris.
smile.gif
I would have offered my FRH, but that was one of the first manifolds you had.

I do so hope that they get to test with a cyclone intake. My buddy use's one and i'm curious what the difference is from the stock 1g
smile.gif

quote:Originally posted by autobahntom:
No ratcheting wrenches are from years ago, very big and cumbersome to work with. The GearWrench's are about the size of a regular wrench. Sears sells them, you can probably find a pic of them on their website.
These wrenches are really a Godsend for intake manifolds and two of the center bolts on the exhaust manifold (on our cars).
Tom
These are what I meant by ratcheting wrenches, which I think you're also talking about since they're the same size as normal ones:
4XK9VPWT5SR8.jpg

If so I have some snap-on blue point ratcheting wrenches in 12mm and 14mm.. work great!

Yep, those were revolutionized by Gear Wrench, which came out a couple years back. Now everyone and their brother has their own version out. I have a set of the original ones that are flat and you have to flip over to go the opposite direction. Eventually, I'll get a set of the reversible ones, but it'll be to support, not replace the original set.

To be on topic, are you guys going to test a stock manifold with a phenolic spacer? I doubt it but I was just curious if that was on the agenda.

Mark

number3

What size TB?

number3

quote:Originally posted by Kibo:

My only two gripes about them is the lip that keeps the bolt head or nut from passing through can either be a blessing or a curse (usually the latter), and the smaller sizes tend to "lock up" under relatively low torque loads--easily fixed by tapping the wrench against a hard surface, but annoying.

In fact, that brings up a tip for those that own them: make sure you use the open end to "crack" the bolt/nut loose first.

There are different models. I own 5-6 different sets of gearwrenches. You don't have to deal with the lip on all of them or at least you didn't. I bought my first set from the S&K tool man back in 99 I think.

Gabor

I have two sets, the reversible and the flat ones.
Both sets have their own uses and they are great.
I always use the closed end to break stuff loose because I'm affraid if I use the open end, it might strip the bolt. Broke two of them with an extension but it was replaced by mailing them back to the manufacturer. The best place to buy it from is www.thetoolwarehouse.net
These guys are great, have quality tools, great to deal with and have better prices than Ebay. I'm going to get the stubby and the flex set soon.

Sorry for the offtopic, but you really need these tools for a job like that.

Go Forrester go.

Gabor
692/1000

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts