The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Installing engine and transaxle

paul j

What are your thoughts on installing engine then trans vs attaching trans to engine and installing both together? Seems like putting the trans up and getting input through clutch is a hard, heavy chore. Is it easy enough to do both together with all the harness' and controls hanging down?

JspecVR4

recently removed and installed an engine in my galant. Took it out with the trans still attached to the engine, installed the engine the same way it came out. It's a tight fit but you can make it work. We lifted the engine with the straps closer to the right so the engine and trans tilt making it easier to pull out.

yubh8tn

I've done it both ways. I've had good luck doing trans separately. After putting the engine in, benching the trans up isn't extremely difficult. Just make sure you align that clutch well so you don't have to redo it after struggling to put the trans in for a while. Definitely not speaking from experience....

On the other hand, though, taking them out and installing them together works well too. You just need to be able to tilt and move the whole thing a lot so one of those leveling things would probably be nice, though I've never used one.

Basically pick whichever one you feel more comfortable doing. Both work and get the job done. If you're not comfortable holding the trans above your body trying to slide it in, maybe go the other route. Separate has been less stressful for me and I like it better.

edit: either way is much easier with a second person. If you're doing it alone, I'd say drop them in together. You can go slow and take your time, making sure you don't damage anything, whereas benching the trans up from below kinda has a time limit. If you have to keep wrestling some wires then it makes it a lot harder, but if you have a person above holding the hoses and wires out of the way and their guidance it's a lot easier.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts