The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

inputs: evo 8 ecu vs dsmlink in a 1g

WiSu

I searched that broxma got it to get the evo8 ecu installed in his vr4.
And just wanted to get gvr4 members input on the two routes.

evo 8 ecu vs dsmlink.

Muskrat

Take this with a grain of salt, as I haven't screwed around with, or really looked at, the Evo ecu, but here's my impression:

The Evo ecu is probably cheaper to get/set-up, but requires more work, where as ECMlink is more expensive, but relatively easy to get up and running.

They both have a lot of tuning support, but ECMLink probably has more DSM/Galant specific support than the Evo.

I'd imagine v3 ECMLink has more functionality than the Evo, but that's not really based on anything.

So it really seems to depend on what you actually need, capability wise. And how much support you'll need. If the Evo will meet those needs, I'd say go for it, otherwise ECMlink is proven.

Last edited:

basically imagine a sliding scale, where one side is money and the other side is work.
here is about where i think those and a third option all lie.
in some cases the ostrich may be cheaper and easier than an evo8 while offering nearly the same functionality.

[$]---dsmlink------------------ostrich/dsmap--evo8ecu/evo8mas---[work]

Last edited by a moderator:

Launch

Why not the 98/99 DSM ecu instead? (MD359402 and 403) -H8 processor, plastic case evo5/6 style ecu that the 98/99 GSX/GST had.
-Flashable thru port, treat like evo
-DSM specific, alot of the evo8ecu stuff is useless to our cars.
-Guys are finally uncracking them and able to use a bit. Flashable tunes, Mitsubishis MUT/MEDIC service tools, etc

Im trying right now to build a harness to incorporate the 98/99 into a GVR4... and if i dont like it I'll pull the harness and use it in my race car. Anyone wanna build me a gvr4 specific harness with a few added sensory/plugs? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nickbuilt

Evo 8 ecu all the way i have delt with both tuning platforms both work really well you can do pretty much anything you can do with a full standalone ecu with the evo 8 ecu but I noticed Evo 8 ecu with speed density runs much more smoother and I get really good gas mileage with my car I say Evo 8 ecu all the way with speed density!

-nick

KiNgMaRtY

I love the ease of use of ECM/DSMlink. To me, its just worth the extra money.
I have it in my 2g GSX, I had it in my 1g GSX and I had it in 611. I will soon be getting it for 802 as well.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned