The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

In your opinion what is the best head gasket..yes I've searched

presterone

I've checked the torque on my mls mitsu and arp setup three times and its never loose? Not even the slightest bit. Maybe my torque wrench needs to be calibrated

92_talon_awd

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that a very high percentage of DIY's torque wrenches need re-calibrated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I know mine do!

Last edited:

Gizmovr4

Felpro headgasket torqued to 110ft lbs with L19 bolts - good to 45psi . Above 45 psi head starts to lift with this combo.

turbohf

i have a cometic on the galant.

prove_it

Quoting transparentdsm:
Quoting prove_it:
Running the "ralliart" thick gasket. holding 25psi with twice torqued arp studs. zero issues.

what does twice torqued mean? like you torque them then drive 500 miles and torque them again? because if so thats what i do and i thought that was just common head torque procedure. i have always done that and i do it on every car i have ever done a HG too. i have my customers come back after 500 miles i check compression, re-torque then check compression again. its how my father showed me and how ive done it since i was 15 or 16 when my dad had me do a dodge shadow turbo coupe.

I've had the head off and re-used the ARPs. Sorry for the confusion.

alansupra94

SS-Oringed block w/ Felpro Composite and L19. Should be good for 40+psi on a Holset HX55.

StreetThisVR4

Does everyone set their torque wrenches to "0" when they're done using them?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

holeshotmoe

Yeah, sometimes I have to bend the needle a little so it points to zero. But that's usually only after I torque a front axle bolt or I drop it.

alansupra94

Quoting StreetThisVR4:
Does everyone set their torque wrenches to "0" when they're done using them?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

I have an electronic Craftsman one that I send out every year to get calibrated so no lol.

slugsgomoo

Felpro MLS with L19. Yes it's more expensive, but I'm pretty sure it's the fastest HG on a 4G63 (if you look at the 2WD, sub 7sec guys).

Mitsu MLS and ARP's worked really well for me and has gone crazily far. I've never had good luck with cometic but I know some do. If I could run a Felpro or Mitsu I definitely wouldn't run a cometic though. It's a great option if you have a weird bore size though.

vr4play

My vote is for the FelPro. I have blown out 2 Cometic gaskets and 1 factory mls. I think the factory mls are good but my wastegate hose came loose and I spiked 42psi on pump 93 and lifted the head and bent a rod so I don't think any headgasket could live through that.

ApexHunter

OP: What was the roughness average of the block and head sealing surfaces before you installed the Cometic?

Those guys can make a good HG. I think all the ones listed in here have been good. Surface prep is crucial for a good seal, especially with MLS, so that is worth mentioning. Most MLS spec a roughness average of

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned