The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

In your opinion what is the best head gasket..yes I've searched

prove_it

I'm blinging, I use Nutella.

Last edited:

dsm10o0

Felpro hg and standard ARP to about 30psi no problem

Steve885

My goals are met 27 psi on a bastard 20 around 350 hp, the comtec didn't hold up I'm getting Exhaust in my cooling system. Or the block is cracked.

As for peanut butter funny comming from the guy who bought a gas insert with no blower. That's like buying a brand new car with no motor !!!!

Last edited:

turbowop

Quoting Steve885:

As for peanut butter funny comming from the guy who bought a gas insert with no blower. That's like buying a car with no motor !!!!

Worked great all winter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Srsly, I use a Mitsu metal HG. I'd probably go with the good Felpro next time based on the overwhelming amount of people that have had great results with it. But the current one has held up fine.

G

Staff member
hks.

prove_it

Running the "ralliart" thick gasket. holding 25psi with twice torqued arp studs. zero issues.

92_talon_awd

My last car I used a felpro with ARP's. Held 30-35psi on a 70 trim turbo for years, it's still going with the new owner. And I hit full boost multiple times a day, every day, the entire time I had it. If I blew that, I'd just o-ring it.

EMX5636

Just get the Mitsu MLS gasket. Torque standard ARP studs to around 100-105. I've seen 36-37psi through my Precision and old Borg Warner. As long as the head is flat, it'll hold. Spray both sides and let sit for a few mins with copper spray.

transparentdsm

Quoting prove_it:
Running the "ralliart" thick gasket. holding 25psi with twice torqued arp studs. zero issues.

what does twice torqued mean? like you torque them then drive 500 miles and torque them again? because if so thats what i do and i thought that was just common head torque procedure. i have always done that and i do it on every car i have ever done a HG too. i have my customers come back after 500 miles i check compression, re-torque then check compression again. its how my father showed me and how ive done it since i was 15 or 16 when my dad had me do a dodge shadow turbo coupe.

Steve885

That may be my issue I had a brand new head from sim it's 1 g 7 bolt..when installed it was only torqued to 85..live and learn !!!

Last edited:

transparentdsm

Quoting Steve885:
That may be my issue I had a brand new head from sim it's 1 g 7 bolt..when installed it was only torqued to 85..live and learn !!!

pull the valve cover and try to re-torque them to 95-100 ft lbs, put it back together and see if it is salvageable. you caught it really quick so everything might still be ok with a re-torque. you said there was no coolant in the oil and vise versa so you might be able to squeak by.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned