The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Improperly machined/stepped flywheel?

sixsixtwo

Hey guys, I'm in the process of replacing the clutch on a 96 Talon tsi, but I think I've come across a problem. I got the flywheel machined to spec yesterday, supposedly with the right step, but when I bolted on the pressure plate, the clutch fingers began to compress as well. Essentially, I think the clutch is almost fully engaged right now. The clutch fingers are NOT supposed to compress when I bolt it down, right? I am assuming the flywheel step is off, and is causing the clutch to engage well before it should. Does this sound right?

jepherz

Staff member
Nobody is pushing your clutch in that isn't hooked up yet, are they? If it wasn't compressing the springs, then you'd have a heck of a time moving when it's all back together; there'd be nothing transferring power to your transmission from your engine.

Rausch

^+1
When you bolt/torque the pressure plate down, the clutch is in the 'fully engaged' position. The TOB and slave act on the fingers of the pressure plate, releasing the pressure holding the disc aka: disengaged clutch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

curtis

Look at the last two posts they didn't even dog on you. There getting old /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

But yes they are 100% correct.

sixsixtwo

There is no one pushing down on the clutch at all, the engine/tranny is still out of the car. When I bolted on the pressure plate, the fingers (which were pointing out away from the flywheel) began to compress. By the time I bolted it all the way on, the fingers were completely compressed (more towards the flywheel). You guys are saying that it is normal for it to do this? I think I'm just experiencing a day-long brainfart. Keep in mind that I was doing this at 5 am last night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. This is especially sad considering this is probably my 10th clutch job in the past 4 years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the help!

NateCrisman

Yes, they are right.

When the pressure plate is sitting on the floor/box, the fingers point out toward the trans side in a "cone" shape.

When the pressure plate is fully bolted to the flywheel with a disk in between, the fingers now are almost all parallel with the flywheel surface. They will have moved at center toward the flywheel about 1/2" or so.

The TOB will push those fingers even more into the flywheel to disengage the clutch and allow the trans/crank to rotate independently.

jepherz

Staff member
If they are compressing ALL the way, then that's not right either because that would mean there was no more distance left for the throw out bearing to push them when the clutch is pushed in. However, I'm guessing they aren't going ALL the way in in your case. If you get some calipers you should be able to measure the step with no problems.

Dialcaliper

What you're seeing is normal - just make sure you gradually tighten the PP bolts a couple turns at a time, so it compresses evenly. The diaphram spring is initially shaped like a cone, and you're just flattening out the spring to preload the clutch plate. Once it is torqued down, the fingers will be a little bit away from flat (depending on what the pressure angle is set at from the manufacturer) When you push the clutch pedal in, it actually presses farther in, and turns the spring "inside out", and because there's a fulcrum, it pulls the pressure plate away from the disc, but the spring still wants to return to the original cone shape, which is why it clamps down again when you release the pedal. (kind of like the pop top on your pickle jar, which, when it's sealed, the center gets pulled in by vacuum, kind of like you pushing the clutch in. When the vacuum is released, it tries to return to the original shape)

belize1334

^^ When you said "pop top" I immediately though of these. Man I miss middle school recess.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts