The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Im now a jackstand baller..............again...

Polish

Quoting atc250r:
You can get a huge hose clamp and wrap it around the oil filter and the housing it attaches to so that it can't work its way loose. Better yet, get a 1990 style housing.

John

Mine backed off a 90 housing. Not sure if you are implying they don't back off. I put my filters on tight too. However it was after about 8 passes, fwiw. Not the first time I did that many passes though, never expected it to happen.

Next one I get the oil filter will be clamped or wired for sure.

HHIVR4

Just went and filled it up with water to find the leak..The rubber hose from the water pipe to the filter housing was split about 1 in but in kind of a U shape..I still dont get how I could drive about 60 miles, park and then 15 min later it fails..No rot or anything either.Hopefully thats the only prob.Ill get on it tommorow when the parts store opens and make sure..

atc250r

Staff member
Polish,

The liquid cooled housings are much more likely to give you problems. The filter can spin off, the "sleeve" that the filter threads onto can unscrew from the housing on the engine end, or the water can start mixing with the oil. Any filter can back off, I just think the odds are better that you'll have no problems with the 1990 or NT housing.

HHIVR4,

I think a lot of people overlook the 3/8" lines throughout our cooling system. I would replace all of them if I were you.

John

Rausch

Quote:
I still don't get how I could drive about 60 miles, park and then 15 min later it fails..

Actually, that does make sense. And it's better than having it let go on the road!

(the boys that actually know what they are talking about can fill in all the holes here)
With the coolant moving through the system it never really soaks up a significant amount of heat. That combined with the fact that air is passing through the radiator, as well as the coolant would kind of plateau the temps (depending on driving, of course). Once the vehicle is shut down, the coolant will soak up more heat, raise the coolant temp, and build more pressure. POOF.

I'd guess that hose was not long for this world, and you actually got pretty lucky having it go after the vehicle was shut down! :cool:

HHIVR4

Got it all buttoned up.Spent a good hour cleaning the under body..What a mess..
No more oil or coolant leaks to be found..Guess we'll see if anything else rears its ugly head.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned