The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Im now a jackstand baller..............again...

HHIVR4

Well its been over a year since I got 1280 up and running from a roller.It has been running perfect since and kickin ass at up to 27psi on occasion and kept at 20psi daily.It has been very reliable with no issues other than a little leaky trans and regular maint..She might be kickin it in my new shop for a while.I went up in smoke today due to a serious oil leak on the highway.I dont feel like investigating it yet saving that excitement for tommorow.Im keeping my fingers crossed that she'll be fine since the oil light didnt come on(doesnt the oil light come on

strokin4dr

Sorry to hear that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif If you need any parts to fix it that I might have stockpiled, do not hesitate to ask. Hope it is something simple.

Polish

Probably blew the oil filter seal like me, and if the light never came on you are fine. I drove down the track and to the pits not knowing mine was blown. Once I got to the pits I heard the lifters. I thought it was done for sure since there was like no oil left so I towed it home. Added oil and a new filter and it was perfect. No issues at all, as long as there was some oil and no major load. (I had let off mid run when the tires spun because of hitting the oil, I thought something in the drivetrain broke since my 16g didn't spin 3rd' little did I know the oil filter seal popped)
And yes they had to close that lane for the night, fuckin gvr4 coated it in oil.
Lolz /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
So don't get to worried yet.

Last edited:

atc250r

Staff member
I'm planning on joining the club again this weekend for a brake line replacement. I'll post pics in the official thread when I have her up in the air. Do your engine a favor and put a decent oil pressure gauge on it so you don't kill it if you lose your oil again. Good Luck!

John

Nate

I'll take that story and raise it one:

I drove the maroon car to the shootout three years ago, raced it, the oil filter backed off on the last pass, dumped ALL of the oil. I filled it up, drove it home, and continued racing it the next year. :)

Polish

Quoting atc250r:
Do your engine a favor and put a decent oil pressure gauge on it so you don't kill it if you lose your oil again. Good Luck!

John

I had a gauge but never thought to look at it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

So for now on *Warning lights*. Much more effective if you're dumb like me.

HHIVR4

^^^ That's how I lost 138's original motor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I was mid throttle and at maybe 15 psi in third when the James Bond smoke screen came about,let off and got it shut down in 30 sec at most aftwards.

Thanks for the offer Ryan..I can't believe we have still yet to meet in person.I get to work more than I play unfortunately.

atc250r

Staff member
Yeah, warning lights are good but the stock sender is teh useless. Run a higher pressure one like the Autometer Pro lights use so at least it'll come on before you get down to like 7 psi.

John

Polish

Oh yea I don't mean the stocker, I mean a real deal official one.

Last edited:

strokin4dr

Quoting HHIVR4:
Thanks for the offer Ryan..I can't believe we have still yet to meet in person.I get to work more than I play unfortunately.

I was thinking the same thing when I wrote that. I too do not have much free time right now. I will let you know next time I'm at a concert on HHI.

ktmrider

A couple of folks have blown the pressure sensor right outta the housing recently! Would explain why the idiot light did not come on and oil went everywhere. Apparently if the OPS takes a hike there is no ground to the chassis thus no light....
Hope it's simple and the engine is OK.

HHIVR4

Looks like luck is on my side..Shes up and running and no smoke from the tail pipe or any metal in what was left of the oil.Its going to be fun cleaning the under carriage this weekend oil is EVERYWHERE.

Polish

Yea, that part sucks. I pressure washed for hours and it did nothing.

So I parted out the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

It was covered in oil underneath.

mine backed the oil filter off the housing, oil light never came on and bearings are gone. pulled the motor and looking at the cylinder walls tonight. hopefully they are scared eaither.

HHIVR4

Any suggestions on how to make this NOT happen again..I took the sending unit apart and cleaned/tightened it up..The gasket looked fine.I was thinking I could loctite it but didnt know if it would hold.Thread tape maybe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Polish

Some of the locals safety wire their oil filters on now, I've also seen people make brackets that clamp around the oil filter and bolt to something. Both will prevent it from backing off.

atc250r

Staff member
You can get a huge hose clamp and wrap it around the oil filter and the housing it attaches to so that it can't work its way loose. Better yet, get a 1990 style housing.

John

HHIVR4

Unbelievable....

The neighbor just knocked on my door and said she was sitting on the porch and heard a "TING" and saw all the coolant blow out.I pulled in about 15 minutes previous.

I love this car.

sorry to hear about your string of bad luck... If it wasn't for bad luck, i would have none!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned