The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I'm a n00b

With a n00b car.

It's not a E39A to begin with.

I brought in a JDM Mitsubishi Galant VR4 (The uber rare gap filler/marketing failure between the E39A and the EC5A). I will be posting here for random questions about this car when they show up. So far the common things between this and a E39A is:

1. the 4WS system - Valves driving the rear rack controlled by a computer thingy
2. the front brakes - same setup. Same 4x114.3 as well

That's all that is common between a E39A and a E84A I would think?

I'm located just 30min away from the US border in Canada where 15 y/o JDM imports are easily registered and used on the roads. Nice to meet you.

Last edited by a moderator:

fuel

You are right, not alot is the same between the two. The front brakes are the same 276mm twin pots but the rears are 284mm vented with internal drum handbrake rather than handbrake on the caliper of the E39A.

Gearbox and rear diff is the same or similar to Lancer Evo 1-3. The 6A12 V6 motor makes same power and torque stock as the Evo VR-4 4G63, but it just seems to be more livelier and sounds fantastic through the rev range. Unfortunately there isn't a great scope of performance for the motor, its main limitations are the two tiny turbos and the small lightweight rods the 6A12 uses. If you push the engine over 300hp or so they start to bend or snap rods and chuck a leg out of bed.

The multi link suspension all round is an improvement over the E39A however they are a bit more complex and the front suspension is prone to both bottom lower ball joints failing on each side.

The E84A isn't that rare at all, a great deal were produced between 1992 and 1996 in both sedan or sports hatch. You can even get them in E74A which is without 4WS.

raptorWagon

^ Maybe Canada was like the US and got denied the 7G VR-4s? So may very well be pretty rare for this side of the world. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Anyway, Welcome, I'm about 2hrs south of the border to Canada, though I see Canadian plates everyday it might as well be Canada down here.

conquesttsi

Welcome. Nice car. This site is really geared twards the 6th gen e39a platform. I would reccommend also checking out the thegalantcenter.net which is based on the 7g platform. Best of luck with her, she's a beaut.

Quoting fuel:
You are right, not alot is the same between the two. The front brakes are the same 276mm twin pots but the rears are 284mm vented with internal drum handbrake rather than handbrake on the caliper of the E39A.

Gearbox and rear diff is the same or similar to Lancer Evo 1-3. The 6A12 V6 motor makes same power and torque stock as the Evo VR-4 4G63, but it just seems to be more livelier and sounds fantastic through the rev range. Unfortunately there isn't a great scope of performance for the motor, its main limitations are the two tiny turbos and the small lightweight rods the 6A12 uses. If you push the engine over 300hp or so they start to bend or snap rods and chuck a leg out of bed.

The multi link suspension all round is an improvement over the E39A however they are a bit more complex and the front suspension is prone to both bottom lower ball joints failing on each side.

The E84A isn't that rare at all, a great deal were produced between 1992 and 1996 in both sedan or sports hatch. You can even get them in E74A which is without 4WS.

Canada and US shared the same MMNA cars which means we never had one of these here (Over the whole continent only Mexico was somehow granted this model)In Canada it's rare to get this bodystyle at ANY trim at all because Mitsubishi was not present in Canada until this century. (They entered the Canadian Market only in 2001)

so it's rare as can be. In fact, if you have accessed Mitsubishi ASA Japan for the total number of cars made in this specification (2000DOHCMPI/4WD/4WS+SEDAN) there are less than 2000 absolutely. Which means it's actually more rare than a E39A worldwide. E74A is sort of a VR4 without 4WS and it's a Galant Sport with a hatchback chassis. E84A itself is quite rare.

The engine won't do any good boosted over 300HP (which I think I'm doing now with a boost up and big intercooler, IHE, custom map and tuning) So I'll keep it like this for a while until I can afford to build a 4G63/4 for this. I think a 4G64 is more suited for this car because of its size and weight (a whopping 1540kg compared to E39A's scant 1340kg) the low end torque characteristics feel more at home with it. It's not a white knuckled street racer/rally thoroughbred this is more about like highway cruise missile. A little lazier engine that gets the going early would be my kind of ride.

That's why I think later down the road I'll have more questions which you guys can answer me, when I pop in a E39A-like engine in there.

Yes I've been to thegalantcenter but those guys with the 7G are always playing that one trick game like boosting the SOHC 4G64, swapping heads, etc. recently someone's been trying to do a self-VR4 conversion but very little information comes out of it because most of it was custom fab anyway. Then the rest of the 7G crowd is still living in the 90s putting on bodykits and lowering the car with cut springs or whatever.....that's not my scene.

I'm well aware of the lower ball joint situation and a quick inspection of the undercarriage shows that the lower arm had been replaced recently with a fresh Mitsubishi Genuine parts sticker still wrapped around it so I'm not worried.

Thanks for the information. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

ApexHunter

Welcome to the board. Got any vids/more pics of this thing? I bet it sounds cool. Nice car man.

fuel

Quoting hk20000:

Canada and US shared the same MMNA cars which means we never had one of these here (Over the whole continent only Mexico was somehow granted this model)In Canada it's rare to get this bodystyle at ANY trim at all because Mitsubishi was not present in Canada until this century. (They entered the Canadian Market only in 2001)

so it's rare as can be. In fact, if you have accessed Mitsubishi ASA Japan for the total number of cars made in this specification (2000DOHCMPI/4WD/4WS+SEDAN) there are less than 2000 absolutely. Which means it's actually more rare than a E39A worldwide. E74A is sort of a VR4 without 4WS and it's a Galant Sport with a hatchback chassis. E84A itself is quite rare.

The engine won't do any good boosted over 300HP (which I think I'm doing now with a boost up and big intercooler, IHE, custom map and tuning) So I'll keep it like this for a while until I can afford to build a 4G63/4 for this. I think a 4G64 is more suited for this car because of its size and weight (a whopping 1540kg compared to E39A's scant 1340kg) the low end torque characteristics feel more at home with it. It's not a white knuckled street racer/rally thoroughbred this is more about like highway cruise missile. A little lazier engine that gets the going early would be my kind of ride.

That's why I think later down the road I'll have more questions which you guys can answer me, when I pop in a E39A-like engine in there.

Yes I've been to thegalantcenter but those guys with the 7G are always playing that one trick game like boosting the SOHC 4G64, swapping heads, etc. recently someone's been trying to do a self-VR4 conversion but very little information comes out of it because most of it was custom fab anyway. Then the rest of the 7G crowd is still living in the 90s putting on bodykits and lowering the car with cut springs or whatever.....that's not my scene.

I'm well aware of the lower ball joint situation and a quick inspection of the undercarriage shows that the lower arm had been replaced recently with a fresh Mitsubishi Genuine parts sticker still wrapped around it so I'm not worried.

Thanks for the information. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Rubbish there is only 2000 of them made, if thats the case then all 2000 made their way to New Zealand - there are a large amount of them here!

E74A is not specific to the Hatch, it just so happens the Hatch doesn't come in 4WS so it is an E74A. There are almost as many E74A non-4WS sedans as there are E84A 4WS sedans.

Also the weight difference between E39A and E84A isn't as great as you've made it out. My j-spec VR-4 Evolution in 5spd is 1410kgs, while a j-spec 7G E84A VR-4 5spd is 1430kgs. The E74A sedan is 1410kgs. The heaviest model is the automatic Hatch, which even that is only 1480kgs.

fuel

If you want rare, then try finding a 7th gen Eterna XX-4. Basically an automatic E84A Galant wearing different clothing.

Do you have a 7th gen. pic of that eterna xx-4? I would love to see that.

Welcome to the board.......I think it's sexy

fuel

Here's a couple pics from one which is for sale at the moment - click

114270027_full.jpg

114269633_full.jpg

114269981_full.jpg

They are all automatic and usually have a brown interior

114269808_full.jpg

And here's a facelifted Eterna Visage (not turbo) which looks slightly better

78791707_full.jpg

Annnnndd.. before I go there was also another variant of the 7G which like the Eterna was released in the Japanese market only, called the Emeraude. The Emeraude had pillarless windows and more of a coupe body style.

115480966_full.jpg

The interior is different too, while it retains the same dashboard the door cards and the rear seats are totally different

115481089_full.jpg

The facelift version of the Emeraude has cool tail lights too

115642262_full.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif Thanks for the pics. I definitely like the face lifted front, and the emeraude tails. Is that the same power plant as the gvr4(twin turbo'd v6)?

fuel

yep the same 6A12 twin turbo V6, the autos only make 215hp instead of the 240hp the manual models make.

heh I mean rare but those XX-4 Emeraude Eterna things are just unicorns LOL.

Anyway here to post some videos I just put on a Eclipse D33A catback exhaust into it. It's almost bolt on except the fact that E84A is a little longer than the D33A so I had to have that extended.

click
click

the more interesting version of this is the Proton Perdana I don't know if they came with the 6A12 but this seems fun
click

enjoy.

I took some pics of my engine bay and interior (actually I have been trying to sell this damn car for like over half a year now) so i thought I'd share with you here too.
20470_251729644189_799549189_3096650_689155_n.jpg

I run a GM MAF-T because it corrects the atmosphere BOV stalling problem with the factory MAF.
20470_251729649189_799549189_3096651_4259730_n.jpg

20470_251729659189_799549189_3096652_1987243_n.jpg

Previous owner had a tweeter in the door card and it was busted as f***, so I replaced it with a Kenwood and covered the hole with cardboard LOL. I might go find someone who does upholstery to help me fix that eventually.

Even though I put the car on sale locally I am in no hurry the car puts out 230AWHP at the wheels after my boost up and fat 3" exhaust at 17psi so it is quicker than a lot of things on the road and after my tune up menu it's very reliable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Also recently I have installed an SR-S 3" catback exhaust to the car because the factory muffler has collapsed. here is a clip of the sound of it:
VR4 6A12 SR-S exhaust sound clip

Cool pics, what's up with the center vent tho?

OT but is weed legal there in BC? There has been a rumor that it's been decriminalized to such an extent that there are actually amsterdam-esque coffee shops there. Is that true?

Glws btw, nothing like owning a car you can't stand anymore.

heh center vents are all broken Asians like to hang their cellphones and extra large slurpees with their add-on cupholders there...

so I improvised a cellphone stand on the right vent that will feed my MP3 into the HU
4651_90069219189_799549189_1746101_2062045_n.jpg

with the phone built in GPS and MP3 capability this adds a whole slew of functions to my car's ICE.

Weed? What? I don't know I got some from the guy down the street yesterday, it was some goooood sh*t.

I can stand it but I can't afford it LOL. I have to commute like 70-80km everyday I want something more economical now like a Yaris or Fit or something.

But while I can't afford it I should enjoy it to the fullest while it's still mine hehehe

i want to see pics of the AMG in the garage. nice galant also!

+1 on the coffee shop thing? You definitely should check it out. Probably were your boy down the street snags it up, and marks it up on you....lol!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts