The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ignition switch and mount replacement

johnnyRacer

Every week I fire up #50 and drive her a short distance. The other day the electric company (ComEd) was trying to get in my yard to put up a new pole and hang new service lines, so I go out to move #50 out of the driveway so they can get in the yard. When I get in and turn the key, nothing, the key will not turn at all. Now mind you, I just started her up the other day and at least once a week prior with no issues at all. The key works perfectly in the doors but will not budge in the ignition switch. It's like I'm using the wrong key. I'm thinking the ign switch has gone bad considering its 23 yrs old. Has anyone else had this issue.

Last edited:

pot

Staff member
Could you elaborate on "but will not budge in the ignition switch." Do you mean the key does not fit the hole? Or do you mean, the key fits into the hole but the key will not rotate over? Sounds like the steering wheel lock is on is all to met /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

johnnyRacer

The key will not turn (rotate). Yeah you are right it seem like the lock is on and usually I can just pull and rotate the steering will slightly and the key would turn. Not this time time though, the key will not turn.

pot

Staff member
Quoting johnnyRacer:
The key will not turn (rotate). Yeah you are right it seem like the lock is on and usually I can just pull and rotate the steering will slightly and the key would turn. Not this time time though, the key will not turn.

I understand what your saying. Get a partner and gently rotate the vehicle forward and backward. Have the other person try to turn the steering wheel left to right while trying to turn that key over. It still seems to me its the steering wheel lock.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Take off the column cover and bang on the cylinder gently with a hammer. I have seen this happen where a tumbler can hang up (never on a Mitsu, but worth a try) and stop rotation. Try moving the key while tapping.

johnnyRacer

Okay I tried all the above and no luck. My key will not turn at all in the ignition switch.

AllanL

time for a trip to the locksmith?

Last edited:

gtluke

pull the wheel in either direction as you try and turn the key. If it's up against the wheel lock it gets really hard to turn the key.

johnnyRacer

What I end up doing was removing the ignition switch and wheel lock as a complete unit. I then took it to a locksmith to see if he could remove the lock cylinder. Dropped it off Saturday, I haven't had chance to stop back through there yet.

johnnyRacer

This is what I did, I had to cut off the security bolts to remove the ignition assembly. That's my knee under the blue towel applying pressure to the hacksaw. Yeah, I know I could've cut this with many different tools. The hacksaw is what I had handy.

Instead of repairing my old 23 year old parts, I decided to just replace them since some are still available. This is what I ordered; everything on line 82005A along with the ign cylinder (82611). Got new security bolts, too.

johnnyRacer

Okay, this is where I'm at with this.

1. New parts minus the lock cylinder, its at the locksmith for rekeying.

2. New parts go on

You can see the new security bolts here. I'm thinking of not breaking these off, it would've definitely made the job easier by not having to cutting these out.

Awaiting the steering wheel and lock cylinder.

Last edited:

johnnyRacer

No special socket needed. When you torque it down continue on until the nut part breaks off. This leaves you or someone else no ability to back these now headless bolts out, except for cutting them out.

johnnyRacer

Just got the ignition lock cylinder back from the locksmith. Now to finish up this job and to move on to another.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts