The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Idling voltage/charging help, please

CarRacer

Yup. I picked up a bunch after my last adventure heading down to Chicago at Advance Auto Parts. I think they were $3 or so.

I just did a check for them on their website, and nothing is coming up. Is it such a common replacement part that normal auto stores don't list them on their online catologues/part lists? I can't find a replacement online anywhere.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting Silvertooth:
Looks like the 100A ALT ALT fuse in the "Fusible Link / Raccord Fusible" box right off of the positive battery terminal is broken. Whether or not it's the only problem, it needs to be replaced. Are these kinds of fuses easy to come by? I've never seen a fuse like that before.

Good work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sounds like you found the reason for the alternator not even trying to charge the battery. Replacing that fuse will allow you to get on with the troubleshooting proccess.

That fuse is retained by two short 6mm bolts (10mm heads)

Your best bet is to disconnect the battery negative terminal, and lay it away from the battery area, and then remove the two bolts that retain the fuse from the positive terminal fuse block. Removing the positive terminal from the battery makes access to the hardware much easier.

Take that fuse to a reputable parts store (i.e. napa or carquest) and have them match it for you.

You can also go to a checker/autozone type store and they will probably have it as well, but you will be considerablly exasperated by the time you find what you need...

(helpfull hint, have them look it up alphabetically, and it'll be right there, in between the fast and furious floormats and the glow in the dark big foot gas pedal kit, deluxe edition]"

Buy two 100amp fuses, (and maybe a little assortment of the others and throw them in the glovebox for a rainy day)

If you don't buy two, you are gauranteed to pop the one you have with some kind of three stooges episode while installing it If you buy two, you'll have no trouble, and you'll have a spare.

To istall the fuse, just slide it down into the terminl block, thread the two bolts in, and tighten them gently, but firmly, with a 10mm socket. A screwdriver handled 1/4" drive works really well for this.

Reconnect the positive terminal, then reconnect the negative terminal, and you should be golden. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If your battery resting voltage is low, I would recomend you have the battery charged before starting the car. It's hard work charging a dead battery and it would suck to kill an alternator trying to charge a deeply discharged battery. Alternators are designed to maintain a batteries charge, not bring it back from the dead.

If you don't have a battery charger, the chain stores will charge it for you. Your alternator will thank you for it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As a future refernce, the fuse probably popped when you touched the back of the alternator with a wrench. Disconnecting the negative battery cable before working on the alternator, intercooler piping, or anything in that area will help prevent a re-occurance.

Ask anyone here, we've almost all done it, some of us more than once. Anybody that says that haven't is lying, check their 12mm wrench for carnage, it'll tell the tale. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

Thanks a ton, Toy. The car is up and running, and driveable. Now I just need to take care of the massive crack in the windshield, fix the huge power steering leak (of which there may be more than one), and find out why I smell burning rubber if I am driving with the windows down, lol.

But it's up and running, which is more than I can say about the last six months since the day I bought it, lol. I appreciate it!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts