The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Identify these pistons.

curtis

Ok was told by the guy that had them that he thought they were CP's

there 20 over
Standard stroke for a 2.0 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
the top ring is a 1.5mm
second is a 1.5mm
and the oil rings are 4.0
spring locks with the small hole for a scribe that some don't have.
So no spiral locks
Normal size pin but have tapered wall 89 gram pins. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif
Pistons are 397 grams so a bit heavier than I would like .

They have the groove cut between 1 and 2 rings like cp's and have the double pin pressurized oilers on each side that most shelf pistons don't. JE and CP both have. They also have the 5 little detonation groves cut between the chambers and the 1st ring like JE's sometimes have. Now what is throwing me is the sides where the pins insert. Every picture I see there's a large mass of aluminum cut then it comes out to the end of the pin then after it passes the pin radius back into the piston removing metal this is just a straight cut.
I saw pictures of CP's that were cut to lighten the skirts with a radius nose end mill and these match that on the insides of the skirts. One thing I did notice on these is that theres a small v'd up place down in the bottom between the valves on the exhaust side dead center...see picture below.

One other thing they have is the correct distance for my 7 bolt Pauter rods to fit with 1.65mm to clear total and down on the bottom there will be .21mm on each side of the crank if the rod shifts side to side so not to rub the throws on the crank. DONE LAST PIECE OF THE MECHANICAL PUZZLE IS COMPLETE. 475 will run under its own power hopefully by summer. All I lack now is time and fabrication, a few bottle fill ups on the welder, AMG sides and paint.

Now First what brand are these???? Mainly because I need to call them about new locks and rings. Spring locks are easy to find but the rings puzzle me...Usually there semi tight top to bottom, either the builder before grabbed what he had or these were miss ordered not sure but if you have a 1.5 and a 1.5 shouldn't the rings both be the same size. The top ring is .95mm thick and looks like a chrome ring and the second is 1.15mm and has a n50 laser inscribed on the edge where you would file to fit. Square sides on both, no angles

Now where they came from who knows my buddy ripped apart a motor months ago that had spun a rod less than 500 from rebuild. They didn't replace the oil cooler when they spun the last one so it trashed the new motor and found out about his shop after the fact. I can tell all 4 had an intake valve collision but as you can see from the pictures there not hurt and look brand new. I wiped off the chamber with a rag to walk in the office and haven't sprayed brake parts clean or soaked them yet so look really good for just being pulled. But there zero numbers, casting marks, logos, zilch zero nothing. All I know is there semi new, my rods fit, and I'm happy. Just need to source out rings.

Thanks for any help.

grocery_getter

Curt, you can get your own ring set already from the information that you have right here on your post

Quote:

there 20 over
Standard stroke for a 2.0
the top ring is a 1.5mm
second is a 1.5mm
and the oil rings are 4.0

If you mouse over to je site, you can see that ring set J670F1-3366 or J670F4-3366 would fit your piston dimension. I am not quite sure what the 1 and 4 ending in the first section of the part number denotes. If I have to guess logically, quantity of 1 set for 1 piston or quantity of 4 for 4 pistons.

grocery_getter

I want to add, since you mention that ring 1 is .95mm and ring 2 is 1.15mm, that the top ring being thinner than the second ring is what normally accepted.

From a quick look, the piston looks seriously like a set of je to me. Does it have any offset on the wrist pin? Maybe a set of custom cut je, not just an off the shelve production number.

That wrist pin looks thin, what is the wall thickness of the pin? I am super impressed by the wall thickness on the new wrist pin that comes included with the Wiseco's HD piston series.

Brianawd

That wrist pin looks just like my ross/magnus. I know its not, but just keep in mind that I started flexing a wrist pin that size with right around 600awhp. If you keep those pistons see if you can get a upgraded pin for it. Lighter is not always better.

curtis

The pins are not thin but tapered on the ends. I saw on CP's site that the tapered pins are an $80 dollar upgrade. I to am thinking there JE's still searching, Just wish companies would post actual pictures of what they sell.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I had some old Venolia's for my Datsun that had tapered pins. Not that I am saying they are Venolia...

GVR4_1057

My JEs had JE forged into the bottom inside of the piston.

grocery_getter

Is the wrist pin boss center or offset bore?

grocery_getter

You know it doesn't really matter what brand name they are. You got the dimension of the ring placement and the piston size, you can get any ring that is designed for that dimension, like the ones that I pointed out earlier from JE.

I still want to say they look awfully familiar to JE to me.

grocery_getter

Quote:
They didn't replace the oil cooler when they spun the last one so it trashed the new motor and found out about his shop after the fact.They didn't replace the oil cooler when they spun the last one so it trashed the new motor and found out about his shop after the fact.

Why are people still do sh*t the backward way? One of my petpeeve, people who are just too cheap to get out of their own shadow. When you get a new motor, make sure it is fed clean oil. Flushing your oil cooler isn't going to remove all the debris in it either. I just have to pin this on the board because it is the sh*t that I try to tell people everyday here, don't be too damn cheap for your own good.

curtis

^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

That's why I'm replacing and being so anal with everything.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned