The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I seriously have the worse luck, really

mcbride89

Okay so I got the jdm motor in 125 a little while ago, we filled her with fluids after the 2 bolts for the oil cooler delete kit came in. I drove her around the block to check for leaks etc, ring her back to the shop and it sounded like a deff miss, wasn't getting boost until 4k and it just felt wierd, drove it again and it didnt go away. Prior to this you could hear the lifter tick, but it was pretty loud, I could hear it in the car with the good popped over my exhaust. So we did a compression test and got 140,130,130ish and 50 on cylinder 4.. Currently were thinking stuck valve. Motor has warrenty on it but were gonna see what we can do... I'm so upset it just sucks. But I'm not giving up

5OF2k

Clear example of why its ALWAYS a good idea to replace timing components and gaskets on JDm engines sent stateside. No telling how long that motor has been sitting there, and where, and under what conditions. Pulling the valvecover, replacing seals and timing components as well as the Tstat and misc gaskets should always be proirity #1. 6bolt 4g63's are getting OLD, even by JDM standards. Mileage isnt the only thing that wears an engine...

Best wishes, sir. Live and learn, I suppose.

-Jake

GSTwithPSI

When you have pulled the motor out of your car 3 times in 5 months, come talk to me about bad luck. That sucks though man, and I know the feeling. If you suspect a stuck valve, I would recommend doing a cylinder leak-down test so you can determine where the air is escaping the cylinder before tearing anything apart.

Last edited:

mcbride89

Well now it's like what do I do now? I can't give up, failure isn't an option. But I have one motor that is built as seized and now another motor that is probably a head problem. I have to see what jdmenginedepot is willing to do with me. A part of me thinks, strip both motors, and build 1 fully built motor and go from there. But them I'm in crank, all new bearings, at least 1 carillo rod, 1 piston, machining of block and deck, all new gaskets.

Gr. the engine depot will be calling me soon. Another thing is maybe I they give me back say 1300 on the motor and keep 200 on a core charge and use that money for engine building...

460GVR4

I'm confused you have a seized built motor, then you bought a used JDM motor? I agree with above, leakdown test while waiting to hear back. I know the feeling, I had a bad noise at 2k miles on full build and I was so mad I let car sit outside for 2 years before tearing it down only to find the flywheel nuts came loose! fml, hey it builds character.

mcbride89

I had a soft line from a rigged oil cooler come off and lost oil pressure(the PO's doing) so I bought a jdm motor and put that it.

The head on the motor that seized is basically brand new from lookin at all the castings. When I mean clean, it is CLEAN. Going to do the leak down test in the am and see what that yields. Hopefully it's just as simple as swapping heads and etc but well see

mcbride89

60% leakage from cylinder 1. Engine depot is gonna see what they can do for me a far as parts and etc. we shall see.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts