The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I need a spare tire for 1051

turbowop

In the off chance I get a flat during a drive to Seattle or on any road trip, I need something that will allow me to limp the car to a tire place. For the past few years, I have had the stock 4-lug spare in the trunk and crossed my fingers that if I did get a flat, it would be a back tire since the front brakes won't clear a stock spare wheel. I could always swap a rear to front and put the spare on the rear if I got a flat up front, but what a pain in the ass that would be on the side of the road with a scizzor jack. Now that I have the 5-lug swap in place, I have nothing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif I suppose AAA would work also, but I'd feel more comfortable knowing I had a spare.

Would a stock Evo spare work since it should be able to clear their front Brembos?

Wizardawd

I'm sure you could find someone with an Evo to borrow one quick and find out. I would think it would. Maybe even 3Si VR4 wheels?

Wiz

JNR

What lug pattern does the 5-lug use? Sad I have one and don't even recall, lol...Have a 5-lug spare and want to say it's from a DSM, but not sure if that'd help you.

If it's 5 x 120, then the GTO spare would definitely work and looks pretty cool too...The CTS (2008+), G8/GXP, BMW's and so on use the same pattern...the hub size varies on these though, with the GTO being larger than the others I mentioned, so not sure if it makes a big difference on these...it's easy to open the bore with a router if you get one that's smaller, fwiw.

Anyhow, here's the 08+ CTS spare and you can see it clears probably just about anything brake wise:

turbowop

5x114.3 is the pattern required. A DSM spare won't clear my front brakes, otherwise I would have already taken one out of a junkyard, and I have yet to see an Evo in any of the local yards. Hell, I've only seen two Evos running around Yakima since they came out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Old pic, but this was the first Evo at the local dealer in '03. It didn't even sell here. I don't really have anybody with one nearby that I can borrow to try out.

Last edited:

kama1

From what ive heard evos also need to be swapped out rear to front if you get a front flat.never actually seen one have a flat before down here.
I got a 370z spare for free.center bore needs machining,needs smaller tire and a little pounding/body work on the center portion of the spare tire well.
Was looking at a honda integra type r spare,looks like it will fit.but damn too expensive down here.

JNR

oh, that sucks about the pattern then (not being able to use the CTS spare).

I suppose worst case you'd have to swap the wheels around and so if you get flat on front, put the good rear on front, then the spare on the rear...PITA though.

Good thread though for people that get custom brakes to always check your spare tire fitment!

Could always run those crappy run flats and no spare; actually the tires are decent (1.0 G in my V /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ), just heavier and harder to balance plus $$$..that's how my CTS-V was /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (didn't like it like that though but thankfully never any issues)

Last edited:

AWDPower

How about a 2nd gen RX7 aluminum spare? I've got one that I used to carry in my Talon. They are 16" rims that have spokes clearanced to fit the RX7's 4 piston calipers. I measured the one I have, and it has 14" of room at the smallest point near the spokes. I believe the center bore needs to be opened a bit. They are also lighter then steel spares. I think the aluminum ones came on the turbos, convertibles, and random other 2nd gens. The spare from a 2005+ STi might work too.

fuel

2005+ STi like most Subarus are 5x100mm.

LIV4PSI

2005+ STIs are 5x114, unlike most all other Subarus.

I have an 04 STI. The lug pattern has made it difficult for me to find stock BBS wheels at a decent price, since they have to be from a MY04 only.

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

Quoting AWDPower:
How about a 2nd gen RX7 aluminum spare? I've got one that I used to carry in my Talon. They are 16" rims that have spokes clearanced to fit the RX7's 4 piston calipers.

You mean 3rd gen right, from the FD RX7? The yellow Enkei?

Last edited:

cheekychimp

Mark,

The EVO VIII six spoke clears 3KGT four pot brakes and rotors at the front with about 3mm to spare using the whole 3KGT knuckle/hub. Consequently if a 3KGT wheel works, the EVO should too.

I wish I had bought a spare EVO rim for my car now, I am in exactly the same boat. I think my chances of picking up a single rim over here are minimal.

Paul.

AWDPower

Quote:
You mean 3rd gen right, from the FD RX7? The yellow Enkei?

No, the 2nd gen, not too hard to find in a junkyard. They are silver, but they are also made by Enkei. There is also a 4 lug version from the early 2G RX7's, not sure what size that one is.

LIV4PSI

FWIW, I know FD RX7 wheels will clear the brembos on an EVO. There were several EVOs running 16" RX7 rims at the Shootout. I was surprised.

curtis

Barnes

How long are your wheels studs? Maybe you could carry a thick wheel spacer. Wouldn't be pretty, but you just want to limp home at that point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

89Mirageman

There is a 92 3000GT VR-4 at one of the local yards, not sure if the spare is still there though. Also I helped a buddy a few weeks ago repair a quarter panel on an 08 Acura TL Type S. It had some massive front brakes and it was 5 lug, not sure if it was 5 x 114.3 though. We had to put the spare on since the wheel was damaged in the wreck. It was alloy. Maybe see if you can find one cheap on car-parts.com.

Barnes

Quoting turbowop:
Well the diameter still needs to be able to clear the brakes as well.

well, I guess what I mean is if you get a really skinny spare, and a thick spacer, maybe you could get the entire rim far enough away it doesn't matter. That's extreme, but it's a thought.

LIV4PSI

I would think an EVO or 05+ STI spare would be the best bet. It is a 17 inch rim, so no worries about messing up the diffs due to mismatched sizes. And we know it will clear big brakes, because it clears Brembos.

Wouldn't using a 16 inch spare cause problems?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts