The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I kinda want some mudflaps...

Paddy1337

few years back, people were making mudflaps out of some Ikea chopping boards. The material was sturdy, but somehow a little bendable. And they came in a multi-pack. At $15 for a set compared to rallyarmor prices, it was a no brainer.

IncorpoRatedX

Those of you that hate on mud flaps that are not on a rally car can keep on hating if you want, but let me give you a little food for thought;

I run the universal ones, with 3m adhesive tape on the plastic rear bumper and rear fender cap of front wheel well, as well as 4 self tapping 1/4 inch screws, if you live in the midwest, you deal with 2 months at the beginning and end of winter where there is a ton of sh*t on the road and it rains often, if you like a clean car (which i do) and you want it to stay clean without washing it literally every other day, you'll like having these.

without the flaps the front door gets covered in road dirt, leaves, etc from driving on damp roads in an area with a lot of foliage, the rear bumper also gets covered, with the flaps the sides and rear of the car stay clean.

So am I out there 4 wheel drifting dirt corners and needing to protect my paint? Nope.
Am I happy that I have to wash my car less often? Yep
Do I like the appearance of them on my car? Nope.
Do I give a sh*t about your opinion on my partaking in something that happens to be trendy? NOPE. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Once I move to the southwest they'll be coming off, I've already removed/reinstalled one to see how easy it comes off and you cant tell there was ever anything there.

1170045_261995070645475_1021893491_n.jpg

universal flap install thread:
click

Boostdtalon

Quoting Paddy1337:
few years back, people were making mudflaps out of some Ikea chopping boards. The material was sturdy, but somehow a little bendable. And they came in a multi-pack. At $15 for a set compared to rallyarmor prices, it was a no brainer.

I know a lot of people that have used the Ikea boards for mud flaps. I actually have some at my house for their intended purpose and they would be excellent mud flaps.

prove_it

I bought a set of big truck cheapo plastics. Slapped them on at an inch out, diagonal cut the top and had person after person say, why would you buy ralliarmor flaps at 100 bucks for this ol thing.

Ha paid 14 dollars. Did it to keep snow of the side windows while sideways. They were flimsy, lightweight, but stopped everything. Function/form.

My opinion is that rally armor flaps on a city driven car that doesn't see snow or mud or gravel is just rice. uncle bens plain white rice.

Last edited:

cheekychimp

Okay, I think I might have heard it all. Mud flaps now = rice if not on a rally car.

News flash! Mud flaps are 'predominantly' to protect other road users (i.e. those behind you) not your own vehicle. That's why in many jurisdictions they are compulsory on big trucks. If you've ever had rocks kicked up on to your windshield by a semi on the highway you'll appreciate why. It makes no difference whether you are driving a 'real' rally car or a family saloon car, even with a mostly enclosed wheel well (and a rear bumper) if you drive on roads with surface debris there is a pretty good chance you'll be flinging gravel, broken grass, stones, grit, dirt etc in your wake. Some of it will find it's way onto your doors, body work, bumpers etc, what doesn't falls either on empty road or whatever is following you. If you widen the stance of your vehicle, fit bigger tyres, change the offset or do anything else to bring the tyre profile wider than the body, you only exacerbate the problem.

Whether you go for OEM, Rally Armour or Ikea ones is in my opinion immaterial. However making a conscious decision not to fit mudflaps just because it looks 'cleaner' (especially if you drive on roads where you kick up debris into the face of following traffic) is about as ricer as it gets!

Last edited:

15psi88

I'm not taking it personal, but to say someone is "as ricer as it gets" because they don't like the look of mudflaps is pretty absurd. Is there some sort of sarcasm the internet has failed to convey?

cheekychimp

Quoting 15psi88:
I'm not taking it personal, but to say someone is "as ricer as it gets" because they don't like the look of mudflaps is pretty absurd. Is there some sort of sarcasm the internet has failed to convey?

I didn't say someone is a ricer because they don't like the 'look' of mud flaps, I said failing to fit something that serves a purpose just because in your opinion it makes your car look better is just as rice as fitting something that you don't need (like a roof rack or a tow hook) because you think it looks cool.

Do you think rally drivers fit mud flaps because they are worried about getting chips in their paint work? I'd have to confer with someone like Teet or Driggsy for regulations but I bet there is a safety consideration in there somewhere. I'm just saying that even on well maintained roads you will still get debris, resurfacing, spilt construction vehicle loads etc and without mud flaps unless you really slow down you will kick up gravel in someone's face.

It happens! We've all had a cracked windshield as a result and I'm sure none of us are going to get sand in our vagina because of it, but realistically how would you feel if some kid in a wide brim looked at your shattered windshield and said "Damn! Sorry Bra! But damn my ride looks tyte without mud flaps yo!"

I'm a hypocrite by the way because I don't have any mud flaps on my daily /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

G

Staff member
That's just an aftermarket scoop installed.

Quoting batanga:
My RS came with mudflaps, Think it looks way better with them on.

kvu5.jpg

Looked nice that vent at your bumper...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned