The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I have E39A tein camber plates, do I have more options for coilovers now?

Dashnizzle

As the title states, I have a set of Tein adjustable camber plates / top hats for the front suspension specific to the Galant.

I have heard that you can use 1G DSM coil overs in the rear however the fronts require modification to fit the galant, specifically regarding the mounting plates on the top hats. Is this true?

Do these plates I have solve my issue if I wanted to look at those options made for other 1G DSM’s?

Current options:
1. Use the camber plates on my stock front suspension mainly for the upgraded stability it provides over the rubber.

2. Get a set of DSM 1G coilovers and adapt with these plates to fit the galant.

3. Find coilovers without the top hats to save on the cost a bit and then throw these on?

4. Willing to trade if anyone needs these plates, as long as it puts me closer to my goals (see below) i am fine with used parts in good condition.

GOALS: Modernize the suspension feel of the car with a priority to comfort and a secondary goal to getting the car just a tad lower. It’s not a daily. Just a weekend car.

Any help is appreciated. Photos below!

3728DC7F-0536-4A6D-BA0E-6181F52A3433.jpeg
8FF9F08F-1D71-4067-9327-798C478D638C.jpeg
6AA1DB1E-AD27-467F-AD81-2C1E6B4B9A50.jpeg

tyeler18

Yes the galant specific plates allow a direct bolt on front shock from a 1g. I'm using galant cusco plates to run evo 8/9 JIC's up front, but 1g will bolt right on and have proper camber adjustment too.

tyeler18

Oh nice! So with these plates I can shop evo options? Limited to 8/9? How are the JIC’s treating you?
7/8/9 are all the same, not sure on interchange for other years. You'll still require either SCE adapters for the rear shocks or weld in the galant lower shock mount, but yes the fronts bolt in with some spacers for the knuckle. Just follow the evo coilovers in a 1g/galant guide without drilling the strut towers.

The JIC's have been great, they're old and worn out now though and replacement parts are non existent. I'll be going to ohlins when I get new coilovers.

Dashnizzle

7/8/9 are all the same, not sure on interchange for other years. You'll still require either SCE adapters for the rear shocks or weld in the galant lower shock mount, but yes the fronts bolt in with some spacers for the knuckle. Just follow the evo coilovers in a 1g/galant guide without drilling the strut towers.

The JIC's have been great, they're old and worn out now though and replacement parts are non existent. I'll be going to ohlins when I get new coilovers.
Yes I remember reading about the little mounting bracket you can weld. Thanks for the info Tyeler, exactly what I was looking for.

moduleunknown

Here are the adapters you'll need (to avoid the rear welding option)

I used that complete set when installing evo Ohlins.

Other items to note from my experience: You'll need spacers/shims for the front lower mount when using evo struts or coilovers since they're a little bit wider than our knuckles. You may also need longer camber plate bolts, but this will be determined by the thickness of your tein plates vs. whatever coilovers you select. I used E39A specific plates from BC in place of the evo Ohlins plates. The Ohlins hardware wasn't quite long enough for the slightly thicker BC camber plate, so I had to order replacements - McMaster-Carr (M6, 1mm thread)

Dashnizzle

Here are the adapters you'll need (to avoid the rear welding option)

I used that complete set when installing evo Ohlins.

Other items to note from my experience: You'll need spacers/shims for the front lower mount when using evo struts or coilovers since they're a little bit wider than our knuckles. You may also need longer camber plate bolts, but this will be determined by the thickness of your tein plates vs. whatever coilovers you select. I used E39A specific plates from BC in place of the evo Ohlins plates. The Ohlins hardware wasn't quite long enough for the slightly thicker BC camber plate, so I had to order replacements - McMaster-Carr (M6, 1mm thread)
Thanks for the links and info.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts