The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I dont want my sunroof...

NateCrisman

Just a quick update: the complete sunroof assembly with the four steel sidebrackets was 41.5lb on my scale. I bet there is another lb of wiring, electronics, and tape that could be weeded out. I would assume the difference in headliner and plastics are minimal.

I have yet to disassemble the main unit to get the glass out for a weight for the method GTLuke did: effectively remove the mechanicals and simply remount the glass.

I'm not sure what Im doing with my car from here out, so making the lexan window isn't on my priority list anymore.

DR1665

I could have sworn it weighed more than that, but it's a bit deceiving when you're sitting on the floor where the back seat used to be, holding the entire unit in place with your head as you carefully remove those last two nuts on the sides.

Putting the other one in was a royal PITA. I had to have my wife help me out.

toybreaker

iconoclast
^^^Use a ratcheting tie down strap across the unit. There's plenty of holes in the upper roof channels for the end hooks.

Makes for an easy, strain free removal/install. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4wheelsqueal

i'm trying to get rid of the sunroof in 1049 if possible. 713 and 1945 have stock ones that work great but 1049 has a crapply installed aftermarket one with the drains running down inside the car and no longer works correctly and it needs to be gone. if they had lined it up with the stock location, it would be different but it's not. so has anyone pulled theirs out and what di you do after? weld in metal, or new roof, or did the 1g flip-up one fit?

Just try to find someone that deals with carbon fiber and for them to make you a molding of your sunroof i had something done like that with my 200sx se-r a few years back.

Mark

It's a easy solution.

Make more power to compensate for that 42lbs or whatever it is.. There are more things to be had to remove...

DR1665

Quoting toybreaker:
^^^Use a ratcheting tie down strap across the unit. There's plenty of holes in the upper roof channels for the end hooks.

Makes for an easy, strain free removal/install. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That's f***ing brilliant. Why didn't I think of that?

Ratchet straps! Not just for securing dead Galants to trailers anymore!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned