The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I bought iceman's green 92

clydeseminole

I should have posted this a long time ago. So i sold my 1990 R32 Skyline 2 years ago which I imported back in early 2015. I went less than a year without a fun little import car to cruise around after that. Before the skyline i had a 97 Impreza L that had full 05 STI drive train and power train and interior swap. So I always felt the need to have a unique and rare(ish) car. The first nice day last year, late spring almost summer i saw everyone out with their dope cars. Being on Long Island, you tend to see a lot of wild things on the road. I needed a new car to have and build and cruise around. My DD is a 94 Land Cruiser and believe me that thing gets old to drive everyday. I was first thinking DSM's since they are getting harder to come by, but i needed something more unique and rare, then thought of the vr4. They're pretty much non existent at this point across the nation. I searched and only a few come up here and there, found one on this site but i wasn't a member. I cross referenced the location of the post on this site and craigslist and found the car. Long and boring story short, I happened to buy iceman's 828/1000 green gvr4 june of 2018. Since I bought the car i had to put a good amount of work into it. The car itself is in excellent shape, it was the mechanical spectrum of it that needed to be addressed. In the past year I've done the timing belt, aisin water pump. converted all the valve cover bolt holes to helocoils and installed oem gaskets. I've put adjustable upper and lower rear control arms on, installed ecm link v3, converted the car to speed density, installed all new solid shifter base bushings and linkage bushings, installed a digital aem boost gauge and aem afr gauge, hallman pro manual boost controller, did the rtm racing fuel sending unit with new walboro 255 fuel pump, installed new AN lines from the tank to the rail, did a fuel pressure regulator and AN line back to tank, replaced 2 blown power steering lines on the rack, took out the old cruise control and put a non cruise control throttle cable in. In the middle of restoring a rear sub frame to put in with new bushings. Also doing a new oil pan and AN line setup for turbo oil drain. It's getting there, I'll try to post here more from now one, only been a year since i bought the car. Will get pics up soon, but gotta shout out iceman for being an awesome dude to deal with while buying the car. Good to know i bought it from a genuine dude.

GSTwithPSI

Welcome to the forums. Post some pictures when you get a chance. Nobody here can read, so pictures are all that matter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

clydeseminole

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Welcome to the forums. Post some pictures when you get a chance. Nobody here can read, so pictures are all that matter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

I definitely will

tektic

Quoting clydeseminole:
Tektic, sounds good. You're so close to me on the island

out of the ones I know I'm the furthest east too.

clydeseminole

So I finally took some pictures yesterday because I installed Evo VII wheels yesterday that a got from a very nice USCG police officer on Staten Island. Wheels came right off his black Evo VII, super sick to see it in real life. Also wanted to install a new oil pan because my old one was leaking. I purchased an STM -10 oil return line setup and installed that too. I feel like I received a wrong 45 fitting though because it seems pretty hard to get the line to angle nicely to the oil pan and of course i kinked it. So tonight i went back to the shop again and installed the stock return line back on for the time being until i re make the other line. Besides that, the oil pan install was extremely easy, removed the down pipe, removed 5 17mm bolts out of the transfer case and slid that out of the way. removed the 2 13 or 14mm bolts on the axle bracket and from there i was able to remove the old oil pan. Very happy with the inside of the bottom end visually, cylinder walls looked nice and clean with no signs of potential destruction. Installation wasn't too bad, was a little pain in the ass to sneak it back on but not impossible. Very entry level DIY job, installed STM stainless hardware. Happy with the end result.

This is the car when it was picked up from iceman's house last summer.

These are the Evo VII wheels I put on 828, I can not find any pictures of an E39A with them on.

transparentdsm

Car looks great and progress is coming along wonderfully. I really dig those wheels. Can I ask why you are going to a larger return line? I can't find the for sale post, but I thought this car had a stock turbo on it.

clydeseminole

It does have the stock turbo, I just like it to be honest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

transparentdsm

You may want to get an AN fitting size a little closer to stock. You really don't want to go to big because allowing to much oil to leave the turbo to fast will cause starvation and eat up the journal bearings and your center section.

clydeseminole

Good to know, well as of right now i have the stock return line on and will upgrade to the -10 whenever i upgrade the turbo. Thanks for the input sir.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Did you use a OEM pan or an aftermarket (Spectra?)? I had removed the OE, put on a Spectra which then proceeded to have the drain plug mounting boss come off later. Put the OE back on, but could never get it to stop oozing/leaking slightly.

The engine should be clean inside as it as rebuilt in 2011, then the head was redone in 2014.

clydeseminole

Yes iceman, and the inside of the engine is pristine. Took a little while to figure out all of the mechanical issues with the car but I didn't mind since it made me get to know the car pretty well. Still have a lot to learn but I've covered a lot of ground with it so far. Will post more pics of the car tonight.

clydeseminole

Went to the shop today where 828 is at, dialed in the boost a little bit at a wopping 13psi. Fist time the car has ever seen some sort of boost other than wastegate pressure since I've owned it. I know I haven't documented the journey this thing has been on since I've received it but it has come a long way.

clydeseminole

It's the RTM Racing single pump system, they also make a dual pump. It works with the factory fuel level sender and low fuel level light, and then i installed a new deutsch style connector.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts