The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I am having two problems with my car! Help please!

Salmo

Having some problems! Help please, my friends.

So I have two problems, one is a cold start, and the second is it overheats going up hills on hot days, (I may know the issue but need help with the solution)

So to elaborate, the cold start, even if it's 30 degrees Celsius outside, it will not start without giving it gas. And then once it does start, I need to rev it up a bunch to get it to heat up a little bit, but when I rev it, it is extremely laggy and it dies out unless I get it right, and just repeat until it's a tiny bit warm and then it'll idle fine at 800 or so, the idle fluctuates a bit but it's manageable. But the alternator belt squeals like a mad man, sometimes worse than others. I put a new one on and it's as tight as it should be. It also stops the moment it heats up.
New plugs, new, slightly large battery with slightly better cranking amps, and it didn't really help the problem, just helps it get the situation over faster.

Like if I had a pre heat system of some sort for the cylinders it would be solid, like a diesel. But that is like just something I thought as like a comparison not a actual idea for my car lol.

And the overheating situation could simply be because the idiot I bought it from removed a fan off the radiator. But I also think it may have something to do with a slightly rich tune maybe? I wish I had a pyrometer in my exhaust to see that temp so I can examine that as well, I may install one soon,
But I'm just kinda curious how I could slip a slim fan in there or something if anyone has done similar? Or if anyone knows about the tune?

This is a 95 Talon TSi,
I think it's a greddy bov, I think it's a eBay 16g turbo set at the 8-9 lbs from when he bought it, I have a MAF Translator, tuned to 650cc injectors, the ad when I bought it said 750cc but it also didn't say it had a blown head gasket either so I don't trust the asshole who sold me it anymore, and I think they're probably 650.
But yeah thought that may have some sort of an influence on the heat problem.
Let me know some ideas my friends! Thank you very much!

KiNgMaRtY

As far as your overheating issue, you must have a fan in the car or it will overheat. Get an OEM fan in there ASAP.

turbowop

Overheating while stopped would be a fan issue. Overheating while moving would be something else, since air is flowing through the radiator.

That said, a fan is required and I'm surprised you're not having an overheat issue while stopped.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

I'd say put an OBD2 scanner on it and see what is going on. First thing i'd look at before even trying to cold start it is the coolant temp values reported by the ECU.

Salmo

Okay I will try to get a fan in there asap,
I need to adjust the tube coming off my turbo because it is just right in the way of the fan, it was rubbing on the rad but I fixed that. The thing going to the intercooler after the compressor side, I can't think of the name of it right now.

Salmo

That is what I was thinking, it only heats up when it's a hot day out and I'm moving, it can idle forever and stay at the thermostat temp.
That is why I am thinking it may have to do with my air/fuel ratio, because if it's rich it gets hot right?

Salmo

Okay will do, I don't have a scanner of my own but I'll bring it down to the shop at the end of my driveway and get him to read it for me. The coolant is probably the same temperature of outside when it's cold right? Why would you look at the temp of the cold coolant before even starting it?

prove_it

I've replaced lots of 2G ecu coolant sensors. They will default to -80 degrees when failed. This will cause a super rich starting condition based off the factory ecu mapping. It will start but it's just like you mentioned. Also the 2G has ecu controlled fans (like what you can do with link /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) so that could lead to overheating issues if the ecu thinks the engine is cold when it's actually hot.

Check for air restrictions in the fins of the radiator and condenser if equipped. Poor airflow through the cores will overheat. While driving, your fans can come on too, so I agree with getting an oem or better fan put on in place of the missing one.

prove_it

Quoting Salmo:
Okay will do, I don't have a scanner of my own but I'll bring it down to the shop at the end of my driveway and get him to read it for me. The coolant is probably the same temperature of outside when it's cold right? Why would you look at the temp of the cold coolant before even starting it?

Like I said, check coolant temp in the scanner on a cold engine. If it's sat for hours coolant should read the same as intake air temp on the datalist, if not, there is your problem.

Tommyd

The cold start issue sounds like a bad/blocked off FIAV on your throttle body. If previous owner did a FIAV block of some sort, you'd have to hold the pedal until it starts to warm up.

KiNgMaRtY

I have a FIAV blockoff plate and my car starts normal and warms up fine. It just does not idle to the 1500 or so rpm if it did have the FIAV.

prove_it

A FIAV delete (especially a 2G) won't cause a near no start condition. All the FIAV does is raise the idle rpm while cold.

Salmo

Okay well that's kinda good to know!
I have one sensor that is actually like not even connected, the wire broke right at the sensor, but it causes my fan to be on at all times, so I figured for now it is probably okay because it is over heating. But from what you're saying, it could actually cause my car to run rich at the start because it has that default temp?

Should I post a picture of my engine so you guys can actually see it? And I want to get a fan but I need to do some minor adjustments to fit one in.

Salmo

Okay I can see what you mean now! But I personally don't know how to read that stuff and I do not have a scanner. I need to talk to a few car enthusiasts around town who could possibly help me with that side of things. And I have no good performance/tuning shop around here for like over 500 km. I just need to invest in a scanner and learn a few things I think but for right now that option is slightly out of my league. I will ask the normal mechanic in my town but he's actually just pretty lazy and a little fat, he didn't wanna touch my car sadly. But I didn't ask him to read codes for me, he may do that.

prove_it

Quoting Salmo:
Okay well that's kinda good to know!
I have one sensor that is actually like not even connected, the wire broke right at the sensor, but it causes my fan to be on at all times, so I figured for now it is probably okay because it is over heating. But from what you're saying, it could actually cause my car to run rich at the start because it has that default temp?

Should I post a picture of my engine so you guys can actually see it? And I want to get a fan but I need to do some minor adjustments to fit one in.

Post pic of the sensor you mention.

Salmo

Oh gosh eh that is good to know, I think I'm going to take out my throttle body soon and look at that, because yeah that douche I bought
It from may have done all of the above so yeah thank you, I googled it and read up of that fiav so I kinda understand it now. Thank you.

MellowVR4

That's your problem

Salmo

You really think so? If it thinks it's -80 degrees it turns the fan on? That is a bit weird isn't it? But I understand the running rich because it thinks it's cold. I'll replace it tomorrow or the next day then. Thank you!

Do you know like a part number or anything for that one? There are multiple sensors up there.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts